Author Topic: Fish finder direct wiring to deep cell battery  (Read 2925 times)

greyhawk

• 24 Pounder
Fish finder direct wiring to deep cell battery
« on: September 27, 2020, 03:49:18 pm »
Having a problem with bow mounted fish finder shutting off periodically. Currently, finder is grounded directly to starting battery - power line goes thru dash switch. Thinking of wiring directly to group 27 deep cycle I use for down riggers. This distance from finder to battery will be close to 20 ft. What gauge of wire would be best for this wiring and should I be considering marine tinned wire? Some suggest I check the current ground  - not tinned and probably 14/16 gauge - for hot spots. Finder is a Lowrance HDS-7.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

bigmac

• 30 Pounder
Re: Fish finder direct wiring to deep cell battery
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »
On my old boat, I ran 10 guage power and ground to a bus bar and mounted it in the dash so I could easily add accessories. 

I wouldn’t run smaller than 10 gauge even though the amp draw on the unit is less than 3 amps.  Never know what you may add or change to down the road and you won’t have to change any wiring if you do. 

Make sure you fuse the wire within 18” of the battery.   

Ps- my new boat has the electronics all though the accessory panel on the dash and it will be changed shortly to a direct wire. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyhawk

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 01:17:21 pm »
Thanks for the info. Thinking of installing a bus bar - already have 3 devices tied into the deep cell.

smokey0418

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 09:03:09 am »
I added a Blue sea fuse panel rather than a buss bar.

Tinned Wire with a large fuse for its limits then run my appliance and fuses on it .

No issues.

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 10:57:21 am »
My  Hbird is connected to an axillary deep cycle battery with no problem , wire gauge should not be a problem ! Ihave had my last Lowrance but others may differ !