Author Topic: Newbie to Lake O and the salmon hunt  (Read 6735 times)

Dweezel

• Shaker
Newbie to Lake O and the salmon hunt
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »
Another newbie to Lake O's charms and bounty.  I upgraded my boat last fall after being stung pretty hard by the salmon bug.  I haven't caught one yet but have gone broke getting ready for it.  There's alot of great information in this forum and I hope that I will be able to contribute back to the group at some point.

Tight lines!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

cams

• 24 Pounder
Re: Newbie to Lake O and the salmon hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:23:11 pm »
Post a photo of your setup, I'm sure you will get some response and tips from the tyee's here.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dweezel

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 09:49:39 pm »
The set-up...well I figure that it's half decent...its the skills I'm more worried about.   I can always buy more gear but it won't make me better.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

The setup:
2021 Kingfisher Escape (22 foot aluminum)
200 hp with a 20 hp kicker
Dual cannon optimum downriggers,  with transducer
Dual planer masts with double planer boards
Ulterra 36v trolling motor
2 Solix units
Fishhawk x4d
Fully networked
2 leadcore rods, 2 copper rods and braided rods (trolling/downrigging)

onelastcast1

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:39 am »
Very Nice set-up for Trolling.  I would get a couple of wire dipsy set ups.  Some days that set up will out fish riggers and lead core.  Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR06g6JRo_zDryChAOvhhhfxURootI5Vy0CcKN1t87AameMCDE45li8WavE&v=ugQASeggl70&feature=youtu.be

Tom McCutcheon

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 10:18:39 am »
Another newbie to Lake O's charms and bounty. I upgraded my boat last fall after being stung pretty hard by the salmon bug. I haven't caught one yet but have gone broke getting ready for it.  There's a lot of great information in this forum and I hope that I will be able to contribute back to the group at some point.

Tight lines!

I would say you were stung hard...LOL
That is a great set up, and experience is what will be your best teacher. Talk to others at the ramp, share your knowledge or lack thereof with them, perhaps offer an experienced angler a seat on your boat and leave his on shore for a day. The boat will get slimed; don't worry about that. 

cams

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:56:12 am »
Where will you be launching from?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Dweezel

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 12:20:54 pm »
Where will you be launching from?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
I will be regularly launching from Collins bay (kingston), wellington and wicklow.  It's a 2 hour ride from my place to Kingston.  So anything past Wicklow..is almost more of a trip.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Got2Bite

• Full Box
    • Got2Bite Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 12:45:19 pm »
Welcome to the addiction.   You may want to look at joining Central Lake Ontario Sport Anglers (CLOSA) they have more than a couple of seasoned Salmon Veterans that can show you the way.

There are a few FB groups and other clubs you can join.

PM me I might  ;) ;) be able to give you a couple of tips around using Trolling Flies.
Fish Got2Bite

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 07:48:37 am »
Read books by Captain Dan Keating " Keating on Kings " plus other editions . Will give you a lot of basic information ; he fishes Lake Michigan some of which may not apply to eastern Lake Ontario !
Also look at " Lake Ontario United  " site ; a bigger crowd .

DPROCTOR91

• Shaker
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 10:28:30 am »
Welcome i fish out of cobourg be more then willing to share info if your this way been fishing this area a couple years now
Tight lines

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

joes13

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 05:57:24 pm »
The set-up...well I figure that it's half decent...its the skills I'm more worried about.   I can always buy more gear but it won't make me better.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

The setup:
2021 Kingfisher Escape (22 foot aluminum)
200 hp with a 20 hp kicker
Dual cannon optimum downriggers,  with transducer
Dual planer masts with double planer boards
Ulterra 36v trolling motor
2 Solix units
Fishhawk x4d
Fully networked
2 leadcore rods, 2 copper rods and braided rods (trolling/downrigging)

Wow that’s a beautiful rig with top of the line equipment. I would suggest finding a charter captain or someone with a lot of experience to go out with you and go over your rig and properly setup your sonar and show you the best way to run your lines. Once you spend a few weeks tweaking your gear and learning your graph the rest is trial and error. Keep watching the forums to see what other guys are having success with. Before long you will be catching fish like the best of them. Good luck out there

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 06:49:24 am »
Captain Dan Keating has a new book " Big Water Wisdom ; The Complete Trolling Q&A Guide " ! Well done answers all questions !

Dweezel

• Shaker
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 07:53:31 am »
Thanks guys.  I'll definitely look into those suggestions

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Laker13

• Smolt
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 07:00:09 pm »
A great choice of person to contact for a charter and a great learning experience would be Rob Henry with Apex Outfitters.  He has been slamming lakers, walleye and salmon for years.  He is out of Picton so would take you out on Wellington.  I have never fished salmon but live Near Kingston and in addition to the Lakers I am loving, want to get into salmon this summer.

bigmac

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 08:59:22 pm »
A great choice of person to contact for a charter and a great learning experience would be Rob Henry with Apex Outfitters.  He has been slamming lakers, walleye and salmon for years.  He is out of Picton so would take you out on Wellington.  I have never fished salmon but live Near Kingston and in addition to the Lakers I am loving, want to get into salmon this summer.
Rob doesn’t fish salmon out of Wellington.  He fishes closer to Toronto.   Newcastle/Cobourg area. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk