Author Topic: Self Levelling Tab for Legend 164 that REALLY leans to starboard.  (Read 2842 times)

Raycaster

• Shaker
I bought a used 164 Legend last year with a 25 Bigfoot Mercury and its not perfect but fit the budget.
It has a single driver side console and overall just enough to enjoy Lake Ontario fishing on calm days.

The 2003 boat has 1 major flaw in that it leans excessively to starboard. I put 2@ 27 trolling batteries in the front port side hoping to balance the console and my weight (200lbs.) It does have a livewell portside also but filling it doesn’t correct the lean. The boat has no visible warps or dents and I have measured and remeasured the engine position it it is dead on center.

My research so far points to prop torque as the boat sits level at idle, seems pretty dry and has no apparent hull imperfections.

My question is would a set of Self Levelling Tabs correct the problem? A $200 investment is do able but $700 on a controllable tabs is not in the budget. A hydrofoil is a cheaper solution but not sure if it would fix anything.

If anyone has experience with the SLTs Id appreciate feedback. Driving from the passenger side is getting old..

Thanks for any suggestions.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Tom McCutcheon

• 30 Pounder
Re: Self Levelling Tab for Legend 164 that REALLY leans to starboard.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:15:48 am »
"My research so far points to prop torque as the boat sits level at idle, seems pretty dry and has no apparent hull imperfections."

This would be my first remedy. Does the motor have a trim tab between the cavitation plate and the propeller? (some motors don't) If so try adjusting this one notch at a time until it rides better under power. By slightly moving the trim tab in the same direction of the pull (pulling to the right, slightly move the trim tab to the right, pulling to the left, move it left).

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:07:02 pm »
If you are talking about the anode fin I have adjusted right up to 45 degrees and above with no luck. My thought is that it would effect steering more than lean. (No expert and could be 100% wrong).

Another solution might involve replacing the prop? Not sure if less pitch would effect prop torque or maybe going to a 4 blade?

I am not afraid of losing some speed, retired...

I had an idea of bolting on a permanent bent tin plate acting as a tab on the starboard side. This may work but if I have guests on the boat then it would probably over compensate and lean to starboard...

spincast

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 03:15:12 pm »
Maybe. I have a 176 with a 115 and a 20 - both 4 strokes, so a little a heavy in the rear end. When my son was younger and lighter and he drove the boat and I sat on the port side it would list to port a few degrees when under power - faster we went, the more it leaned.  When I was driving and he was passenger, we didn't have the same issue. I provide that for context.  I put a set of smart tabs on the boat, starboard at max resistance and port at min. It levelled the boat out 90% of the time, and even if it was listing due to wind or other cause, it was significantly less. I adjusted the trim setting on the motor as well, although I didn't really see a difference there.   They also help getting up on plane at lower speeds which is a bonus.
Also -see article : https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/tips-to-alleviate-lean-list-and-heel/

Edited to add link

Tom McCutcheon

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 03:17:41 pm »
Spincast may have your answer..

Anode fin is what I was talking about. You say you have adjusted 45 deg. to the right, have you tried going in the other direction (left)?
I am having a hard time picturing the boat level at idle or no throttle, but when you power up it leans left? Does it actually "List Left" or does it want to steer left?

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:01:25 pm »
I have just turned the tab to starboard and had no luck, have not tried to port.

The boat "lists" to Starboard (Console side) proportional to speed. The greater the speed the greater the lean. When I complain about how un-level it is I'm not talking a few degrees.  At full throttle I have to sit in the passenger side and reach over to steer for a level drive.

It may be 50% weight distribution and 50% prop torque. The boat has the main battery, console, and driver on the right and gas, livewell, and 2 @ Group 27
 trolling batteries and terrnova 80 on left. The livewell on port side is rarely filled. Also for people unfamiliar with the Legend 164 Excite, its NOT a deep "hull" and basically just a step-up from a jonboat. Its a pretty light boat and a 50hp engine would be overkill (and scary).

I wasn't sure how the SLT's work but if I can adjust for min and max that should do it.

Thx to all replies.

Leo

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:37:35 pm »
The torque of the prop ( clockwise rotation) is turning the boat towards the starboard side, so turn your tab towards the port side all the way, so try that first before turning it less. It acts like a tiny rudder. This should compensate somewhat, greater the speed, greater the compensation.

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 06:19:17 pm »
I swear everyone said rotate towards the leaning side.

Will give it a shot though (Have to wait till spring of course).
I have included a quick image of where I have tired it.

No hurry to purchase Trims yet.

Again, thank you to all replies.

spincast

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 06:27:19 pm »
For a boat your size the smart tabs have one more nice feature. They can be locked 100% perpendicular to act as brakes and slow the troll right down. Great for getting low speeds for walleye trolling. Just remember to undo them before you take off (been there done that, new pair :) )   From what you are describing (faster you go, the more you list) they should help a lot. Good luck

Tom McCutcheon

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 06:57:48 pm »
DUH!!!! Silly me, I got my Port and Starboard mixed up in my original reply.

Seems I need a refresher Power Squadron Course...LOL

The 45 deg. of adjustment seems pretty extreme though.

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:17:11 pm »
That info of helping set trolling speed is music to my ears.

I have alot of trouble staying in the 2.4 mph with the 25 bigfoot.

If against current I have no problem but with current  keeping below 3.2 is tough without throwing some drift socks running....

bwm3115

• Shaker
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 09:26:08 pm »
my best guess is just because the motor is in the center does not mean it should be, I might try to move it a bit either way to see the difference, could be something with the hull, Just my two cents,

Leo

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 10:07:13 pm »
If you have problems trolling at 2.4mph or less, you may have the wrong pitch for your propeller, especially when your engine is only 25 hp. To test, go full throttle, and see if your rpm is within your engine  rpm range specification. If it is in the low end, then you probably have room to reduce the pitch on your propeller by one inch. This would give you a lower trolling speed. If you change to a lower pitch propeller, do the full throttle test again to make sure the rpm is within the rpm range specification of your engine. I think it's 200 rpm for every inch reduction or increase.

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 12:40:20 am »
Unfortunately my boat has no rpm gauge...

I have a mechanic friend that might find a used prop for testing in the spring.

Thanks for insight.

John Bacon

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 07:08:25 pm »
I bought a used 164 Legend last year with a 25 Bigfoot Mercury and its not perfect but fit the budget.
It has a single driver side console and overall just enough to enjoy Lake Ontario fishing on calm days.

The 2003 boat has 1 major flaw in that it leans excessively to starboard. I put 2@ 27 trolling batteries in the front port side hoping to balance the console and my weight (200lbs.) It does have a livewell portside also but filling it doesn’t correct the lean. The boat has no visible warps or dents and I have measured and remeasured the engine position it it is dead on center.

My research so far points to prop torque as the boat sits level at idle, seems pretty dry and has no apparent hull imperfections.

My question is would a set of Self Levelling Tabs correct the problem? A $200 investment is do able but $700 on a controllable tabs is not in the budget. A hydrofoil is a cheaper solution but not sure if it would fix anything.

If anyone has experience with the SLTs Id appreciate feedback. Driving from the passenger side is getting old..

Thanks for any suggestions.

Prop torque should cause it to lean to port.  The reason that boat consoles are on the starboard side is to offset the lean caused by prop torque.