General > Kayak Angler

Yak Attack Declaration! Season (yak attack) has officially started; Mar 23

(1/3) > >>

King Joe:
Well, well, and here we are....with the nice and calm weather, met my buddy, JPScribbler at 40 Mile Creek to launch the yaks and 'officially' kick off this Yak season (for the Yak Attack).  Started setting up at 0730am. Met another yak'r setting up at the same time though didn't talk much.  He went along the shore in shallow(er) water ; JP and I had other plans.

The plan was to head to find about 35'dpw....set up and run.  JP running lead core and spoon on one and clip on and Apex watermelon on the other.  I am converting JP to Apex.  I think this is his first run with the watermelon I gave him last season.  Me, 10' and 20' divers with Apex on both; Purple haze on the 10 and watermelon on the 20.

Heading out, definitely marked fish going out.  I have the sensitivity up high on my finder so see 'everything' (boring watching a blank screen with low sensitivity...hah).  At about 25 dpw, we set up and keep running to about 35'.  Not soon after leaving the 25' area, fish on the screen virtually disappeared.  Still, stuck with the plan for a bit.

Not long into running, JP picks up a nice horse of a laker....pushing around 20#....ON THE WATERMELON.  Me, quite a time after, I have a hook up and off on the 20 watermelon....the hit was slow and constant so assume it was a laker (my experience is these type of takes, not 'hit and runs' like trout or salmon).

Early morning is otherwise slow....marks are sparse through 33-40 dpw BUT when we find fish....they are spread 0-to bottom!  JP battles another good fish...and I loose a nice laker, literally at the net (watermelon side).  As we are running deeper, I switch out the 10 for a 30; now running 20 and 30.  While I change out the one side, I am running watermelon always on the deepest diver.

Mid morning...seemed pretty consistent now....running in the 34-37 (like the plan), we hit those big pods of fish through all depths....and hit pretty consistently, fish!  Jim changed to a chartruesey spoon and watermelon...while I run watermelon and Cactus (sorry JP, I was calling it Army truck).  Through the morning into early afternoon, JP and I; one of us, is on a fish, all lakers.  All that come to net are over 10 with a couple pushing over 20!  Some fight like beasts, others like weights until they see the net.  Colours of the lakers ranged from blue-white to dark grey with red/orange fins (almost spawning colours)...very cool.  Body and head shape also, so diverse!

With a great start to the Yak Attack season, we make our last run at about 1300pm; both hooking up on the run.

Total for the great morning; JP went 4 for 8 (3 on the Apex watermelon) and I went 5 for 8 (all Apex but 3 on Cactus, 2 on watermelon...wwwwwhhhaaa attttt?).

Great start....looking calm sunday....may be repeat time!

King Joe Outa Here!

DeathrowFish1:
Fantastic report. And sounds like an awesome day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyeeTanic:

--- Quote from: King Joe on March 24, 2021, 09:35:39 am ---Well, well, and here we are....with the nice and calm weather, met my buddy, JPScribbler at 40 Mile Creek to launch the yaks and 'officially' kick off this Yak season (for the Yak Attack).  Started setting up at 0730am. Met another yak'r setting up at the same time though didn't talk much.  He went along the shore in shallow(er) water ; JP and I had other plans.

The plan was to head to find about 35'dpw....set up and run.  JP running lead core and spoon on one and clip on and Apex watermelon on the other.  I am converting JP to Apex.  I think this is his first run with the watermelon I gave him last season.  Me, 10' and 20' divers with Apex on both; Purple haze on the 10 and watermelon on the 20.

Heading out, definitely marked fish going out.  I have the sensitivity up high on my finder so see 'everything' (boring watching a blank screen with low sensitivity...hah).  At about 25 dpw, we set up and keep running to about 35'.  Not soon after leaving the 25' area, fish on the screen virtually disappeared.  Still, stuck with the plan for a bit.

Not long into running, JP picks up a nice horse of a laker....pushing around 20#....ON THE WATERMELON.  Me, quite a time after, I have a hook up and off on the 20 watermelon....the hit was slow and constant so assume it was a laker (my experience is these type of takes, not 'hit and runs' like trout or salmon).

Early morning is otherwise slow....marks are sparse through 33-40 dpw BUT when we find fish....they are spread 0-to bottom!  JP battles another good fish...and I loose a nice laker, literally at the net (watermelon side).  As we are running deeper, I switch out the 10 for a 30; now running 20 and 30.  While I change out the one side, I am running watermelon always on the deepest diver.

Mid morning...seemed pretty consistent now....running in the 34-37 (like the plan), we hit those big pods of fish through all depths....and hit pretty consistently, fish!  Jim changed to a chartruesey spoon and watermelon...while I run watermelon and Cactus (sorry JP, I was calling it Army truck).  Through the morning into early afternoon, JP and I; one of us, is on a fish, all lakers.  All that come to net are over 10 with a couple pushing over 20!  Some fight like beasts, others like weights until they see the net.  Colours of the lakers ranged from blue-white to dark grey with red/orange fins (almost spawning colours)...very cool.  Body and head shape also, so diverse!

With a great start to the Yak Attack season, we make our last run at about 1300pm; both hooking up on the run.

Total for the great morning; JP went 4 for 8 (3 on the Apex watermelon) and I went 5 for 8 (all Apex but 3 on Cactus, 2 on watermelon...wwwwwhhhaaa attttt?).

Great start....looking calm sunday....may be repeat time!

King Joe Outa Here!

--- End quote ---

Where's the video?!?!?

King Joe:
Hah, yeah, exactly Tyee.  I leave the technology up to JP.

King Joe Outa Here!

Nels:
Nice report, I can't wait to get out. Keep me posted about Sunday. I may be able to join.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version