Author Topic: Lake Ontario Forans Marine Super Day, March 27  (Read 8185 times)

Hi-Vol

• 24 Pounder
Re: Lake Ontario Forans Marine Super Day, March 27
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:52 pm »
great video and you're right about translation not needed!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

EliasS

• Shaker
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 12:29:46 am »
The population of alewife in lake ontario is not under any threat from an over abundance of lake trout. If the population crashes, it's because of bad spawning success due to environmental factors and too many salmon in the lake eating way more biomass to reach their large size.  The foodchain is very top heavy if you look at it like a pyramid. You'd be better off to start killing young chinooks if saving the baitfish population is your goal. Just because you don't like the way a laker fights, doesn't mean they aren't a valuable native species that has every bit it's place in the lake as any other native species (which chinook are obviously not. If you want to consume them, all the power to you but killing them to save baitfish is dumb. Sorry to be bold, but do some research.

You might also want to check the safe eating guide for those lakers if you're eating a large quantity like that. Great day for you guys though, glad you bent some rods!

SS Krapola

• Shaker
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 09:09:45 am »
Great day, better picture.

BillM

• Full Box
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 09:33:04 am »
lol lakers eating all the bait.  Where do people come up with this shit?   

Rat-yak

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 09:34:36 am »
Hope they were joking about eating that much!

salmonman

• Shaker
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 11:13:05 am »
Lake Trout and Salmon directly compete for the same food resources only a small fraction of the year, which is early spring.  The rest of the warmer months they are generally located on opposite sides of the water column and opposite sides of the lake.  Once the summer sets in, most Lake Trout head to deeper waters and switch their diet accordingly to the prey that is available to them.  Meanwhile salmon usually stay suspended and chase bait in the mid water columns.  Not too much competition happening there.

Tightlines
Salmonman

antondavel

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »
No one said the Lakers are eating ALL the bait!....some people can't read for shit :o

Strike Zone

• Full Box
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 04:54:24 pm »
The population of alewife in lake ontario is not under any threat from an over abundance of lake trout. If the population crashes, it's because of bad spawning success due to environmental factors and too many salmon in the lake eating way more biomass to reach their large size.  The foodchain is very top heavy if you look at it like a pyramid. You'd be better off to start killing young chinooks if saving the baitfish population is your goal. Just because you don't like the way a laker fights, doesn't mean they aren't a valuable native species that has every bit it's place in the lake as any other native species (which chinook are obviously not. If you want to consume them, all the power to you but killing them to save baitfish is dumb. Sorry to be bold, but do some research.

You might also want to check the safe eating guide for those lakers if you're eating a large quantity like that. Great day for you guys though, glad you bent some rods!
Don’t mean to be pedantic but the current strains of Lake Trout are not Native.  Your point still stands however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Splaker

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 10:07:57 pm »
It's too bad this couldn't have stayed as a light, fun thread... and it's a put and take fishery!

congrats, guys..you had fun and it appears you were well within your limit.

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 12:09:23 pm »
lol lakers eating all the bait.  Where do people come up with this shit?   

Omg riiiight

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 01:03:57 pm »
@Splaker the picture actually has 2 fish over limit and I did not add a disclaimer on another forum :)

Basically, once we pulled these 4x header, we took a pic of everything in the box and after that I had told the guys we need to count. And it turned to be 14 but really wanted to keep the picture. Then I had told the guys we have to release 2 and then we did film the release just in case. It was easy to find the 2 candidates for release because (as I say while unhooking fish number 2) it had some kind of bump on its head and another one had a stain on its side as it from the fight or something like that.

Then I told the guys to pack up the rods because my heart won't survive another 4x header, so we had another bite (15th) while packing, which had been released. Lol... Not bad for a 3rd trolling season overall and 2nd as a rookie captain :) Tight lines everyone!

BillM

• Full Box
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 12:14:38 pm »
Yikes,  thank god you proved to everyone you just say stupid shit occasionally and not all the time :)   

simcoeslayer77

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 02:24:17 pm »
Play nice fellas! Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one. Lets have a safe and successful season. Looking forward to the reports.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

gordy mohr

• Full Box
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2021, 02:04:29 pm »
of all the things Ive lost, I miss my mind the most