Author Topic: EVERYTHING WAS FIRING (at the bar)  (Read 4846 times)

Cormorant

• Shaker
EVERYTHING WAS FIRING (at the bar)
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:04:56 pm »
Ventured out to the bar 2 mornings ago hoping to find some salmon running 2 riggers, one dipsey and one lead core. Didn't find any kings and ended up crushing lakers instead. Still a bit early I believe. Water was 48 degrees on the surface but I wasn't making any bait. Still a great day on the water. I recommend anyone who can get out to do so. Lakers may smell like a dirty cooch but it's still fun seeing the rods go off. I did hear of a certain salty pirate captain I usually fish with landing a nice size king out at the bar that same morning but I'll let him confirm that rumor himself 🤣

Tight lines everyone. Try not to get too down about this lockdown. I'm pretty sure fishing is still aloud so that's good news!!!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
Re: EVERYTHING WAS FIRING (at the bar)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 10:14:11 pm »
Good job! How deep did you go and what baits did you use, and at what depth? I did see 1 salmon last weekend at Foran's. I wish someone would say if they are showing up or not

Cormorant

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 10:56:19 pm »
Our best fishing was 50-60 fow along the top of the bar. Marked a tone of fish. Green glow spoons worked best riggers down 35 + 45 dipseys out 90 and 7 colours out on the lead

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 10:58:23 am »
Sent you a PM

joes13

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:11:53 pm »
Nice. Thanks for the report. I’ve jigged for them out there using large white paddle tail jigs. There are some nice walleye there too. Where did you launch from, Queenston or St.Catharines

Cormorant

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:12:35 pm »
Nice. Thanks for the report. I’ve jigged for them out there using large white paddle tail jigs. There are some nice walleye there too. Where did you launch from, Queenston or St.Catharines

I always launch from Dalhousie. I like supporting that launch and it gives me the option to fish off Weller prior to making the run to the bar.

Scallywag

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 09:15:47 pm »
Photo evidence for the cormorant- not a monster but a nice start to the season.  Hit a Green glow moonshine spoon off the rigger down 45 in 59 feet off the bar.

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:38:56 pm »
Thanks for this Scallywag! Well, we are almost there.

tinman46

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 10:06:20 am »
I've never fished the bar. Most of the videos/articles I see talk about drifting from the river mouth side up onto the bar. Sounds like it would be tricky trolling the river mouth side especially if there's a bunch of boats drifting, never mind the cannonball snags, wouldn't want to impose. When you talk about about trolling the top of the bar do you mean the lake side rather than the river mouth side? Thinking about giving it my first try sometime within the next couple weeks. Any advice appreciated. I'd probably launch at Port Dalhousie, looks like it's a 6-8 mile run depending which part of the bar your headed?

AdamMcC

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 01:07:45 pm »
Hey tinman, if you have navionics or another map system that shows you the bottom contours you can get a real good picture of what "the bar" really is. It's a very large area extending from the river mouth that encompasses the mouth to a few miles offshore to a big drop off. It goes from 80 to 200' in a very short span and there is a lot of water there to fish. I've been there with literally hundreds of boats at once. You can fish the shallower water or troll the drop areas a few miles out and it's still considered "the bar" for all intents and purposes. Definitely one of the most consistent spots on the south shore all season long.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

tinman46

• Shaker
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 01:30:17 pm »
Thanks Adam. I'm sure if I work my way over figure something out. I do have contour maps on my finder so I'm sure I can follow the edge somewhere and work it out.

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:19 am »
“Smells like a dirty cooch”.... I love this site!!  :)
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON