Author Topic: Walker temp sense cable  (Read 2694 times)

andrew9638

• Shaker
Walker temp sense cable
« on: April 17, 2021, 08:44:52 am »
Well I just bought used walker downriggers and was all exited to get one that has the temp feature and the ts-4000 box.
Only to find out Walker was sold to bert’s custom tackle and they are not distributing parts. What a rude thing to do, buy a brand that was lifetime warranty and then leave everyone high and dry for parts and service.

So my question, does anybody know how to cut off the downrigger cable with the tiny wire inside, and re connect it to the temperature sensor?

I also have a wanted ad up for a new cable if anybody has one.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

andrew9638

• Shaker
Re: Walker temp sense cable
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 05:40:09 pm »
Anybody out there know how to repair these cables? I called Bert’s down in Michigan and the guy said he would try to get me a repair kit in 2 weeks... well 5 weeks later after leaving multiple messages they won’t get back to me.

Has anybody repaired one of these cables?

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 05:51:34 pm »
The instructions are in the kit.  I think I got my last one from Shortwave in Port Credit.

andrew9638

• Shaker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:39:44 am »
The instructions are in the kit.  I think I got my last one from Shortwave in Port Credit.

Do you happen to still have the instructions around or remember what’s involved in the repair?
I will call shortwave today but guessing they won’t have any repair kits.
I’m just wondering how it’s done so I can decide if I can improvise and do the repair and reattach the probe without the kit.
What is in the kit?
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 10:50:00 am »
You cut off the old sensor,  strip back the inside wire and twist the strands of the cable together. The leads from the sensor crimp to the inside wire and the cable strands. Then you cover the sensor and connections with a non-conductive sealer and let it set. After it sets, you stuff it back into the sensor holder.   

andrew9638

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 10:30:37 am »
Thanks for the info Catnip. I tried the repair and I got all the old epoxy off the tiny sensor. However when trying to open up the crimps on the terminals I ended up breaking them off, so now I have nothing to attach the wires to.

I called shortwave marine but he said they don’t make the sensor anymore.

If anybody wants to snip off their old sensor and mail it to me I’m willing to pay $50. Just the little piece that’s encased in epoxy and is hidden inside the black plastic connector that the cannon ball connects to. It would fit in an envelope.
Please help! I can’t shell out 1K for a fishhawk right now!!

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 11:11:42 am »
I hear you. That senor has to be an off the shelf part.  I can't remember if it's a thermocouple or thermistor.  I think the old system was a thermistor and the newer one is a thermocouple but don't quote me.  If you can identify it, you should be able to buy one. Then you will have to figure out a way to attach the wires to the cable and encapsulate the whole thing.

quickfish4me

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 11:24:46 am »
Have you tried eBay

andrew9638

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 10:39:25 pm »
Yeah.. I’ve tried searching thermistors and thermocouple on eBay and the internet but cannot find one that looks the exact same as the original part. It’s a tiny little thing. I don’t know what the specs are on it either to try to match it. Not that I know much about these things in the first place. Guess I will go without temp this season, I always seem to still catch enough to keep me entertained anyway.

John S.

• Shaker
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 10:11:34 am »
Yeah.. I’ve tried searching thermistors and thermocouple on eBay and the internet but cannot find one that looks the exact same as the original part. It’s a tiny little thing. I don’t know what the specs are on it either to try to match it. Not that I know much about these things in the first place. Guess I will go without temp this season, I always seem to still catch enough to keep me entertained anyway.

Almost any thermistor that looks the same in size will work. They are basically a heat sensitive resistor that changes value with temperature. Thermocouples have a larger and higher temperature range and are formed by melting two dissimilar metals together. The thermocouple would look like a very small blob of molten steel at the end of the wires.

You can search and order the thermistor from Digi-key. Search thermistor, position mouse over pics to enlarge, find similar looking units, check price, usually higher prices give better accuracy and finer resolution, however I saw $4 units with +/- .1% . If the original gave 00.1 degree temp. increases, look for the same specs.

Leo

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 06:10:53 pm »
Hey andrew9638, I have a thermistor DTS-RK/WO that I had installed, and then cut off from the temperature cable of an old Walker DTS-2000 after a couple years of use. I had upgraded to the Moor Sub Troll 900. Now,I have the Fishhawk X4D.  I'm sure it will work with your TS-4000. I also have the instructions on how to install it onto the temperature cable, and the calibration of the DTS-2000 which I think would be similar to the TS-4000.  PM me with your address and I will send it to you, or you can meet me at Port Credit. If it works after you install it, pay me whatever you can afford.

andrew9638

• Shaker
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 02:03:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys, sending you a message Leo