Author Topic: Lake Ontario, Niagara, April 24  (Read 6671 times)

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
Lake Ontario, Niagara, April 24
« on: April 25, 2021, 04:54:11 pm »
To say that 2021 is a payback for 2020 is an understatement beginning yesterday ;D ;D ;D

Niagara, 23/32, 9 lakers in the box, 8 or 9 were released, 5 king salmons in the box, 1 salmon lost after spooling an entire reel of Penn size 30 of #50 backing and ended up behind someone else's boat lines along with my 2nd most favorite Luhr Jensen Shoehorn spoon. The top shot fluoro was all shaved and kinked. I am guessing, after reviewing my magic excel spreadsheet today, that I got spooled at least 1800ft besides the 150ft weighted steel, the top shot and about 100-150ft to the boat since it was the outer planer. OMG...

Luhr Jensen Shoehorns and Moonshine spoons were working overtime on riggers, 100ft weighted steel, 3 color lead core and 150ft weighted steel as well.

We crossed the border several times back and forth due to 3 double headers and 2 triple headers one of which was 1st laker then 2 salmons, and the last (above-mentioned salmon) spooled us so it took ~30 min to pull the first salmon and I had to turn the boat like a dozen of times since he was pulling to the sides. Did not weight it but got to be 20-lb range. An adrenaline like I never knew before. I jumped on the front of the boat and shout to some boaters to move aside when the last salmon hit us :)

I thought all 5 were king salmons since I cannot distinguish between king and coho YET but when I got home, I started filleting and the 2 I brought home and both turned out to be a majestic Cohos (15-20lb range) plus 1 taken by my buddies.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

rockin-steelhead

• Full Box
Re: Lake Ontario, Niagara, April 24
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 09:01:15 pm »
To be honest you’re lucky the coast guard or US patrol was not out there as it is illegal to cross the water boarders just like the land borders. Good to hear you had a great day as the fish must have moved or shut right down as today was slow out there.

Salmonking2010

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 09:39:26 pm »
15-20lb cohos in april :-\

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 10:48:30 pm »
To be honest you’re lucky the coast guard or US patrol was not out there as it is illegal to cross the water boarders just like the land borders. Good to hear you had a great day as the fish must have moved or shut right down as today was slow out there.

It's all the adrenaline. By the time I get my head around these multiple headers, we were already in the USA. We then quickly U-turn back to Canada. Just need to get past that "newbie-adrenaline" surge... I will try to get better at this. Usually I reel until the planer or comfortable point and give the rod to one of the buddies, then switch to directing the boat etc...

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 10:57:43 pm »

OK if I got this wrong, help me out here. Are both of these kings? The kitchen island is about 56" wide, so proportionally... These are what, both kings?

Predator 18

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 11:34:01 pm »

OK if I got this wrong, help me out here. Are both of these kings? The kitchen island is about 56" wide, so proportionally... These are what, both kings?

Yes kings, you can ID by the numerous spots on the tail...COHO has very few on very upper half of tail only....

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 11:37:40 pm »

Yes kings, you can ID by the numerous spots on the tail...COHO has very few on very upper half of tail only....

Hmmmm... I was told there is at least 1 coho in another pic with the same fish and since they are the same I thought both are cohos... Well, duly noted, thank you.

trophycraft

• 30 Pounder
  • Kevin
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 02:19:22 am »
Well done Vlad! Another great day of catching on Lake O! And another great report to read! (With pictures too) I'm glad your having a successful start to the fishing season. Thanks for keeping those of us with our boats still in storage entertained with your reports! I too accidentally wandered into American waters during my first trip to the Mouth of the Niagara and quickly made a u-turn when I saw all the boats had American registration on them! lol

I will attach a salmon and trout identification chart below. These fish are definitely tricky to identify sometimes.

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 02:46:42 am »
Kevin, thank you so much for this! Duly noted, will print on plotter at work and try to pseudo-laminate it somehow  :D

P.S. If anyone still has boats in storage without a good reason, one has no one but himself/herself to blame  ;D

westlakecharlie

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 08:05:23 pm »
I blame covid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocK

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 09:32:32 am »
I will keep an eye out for the boat spinning circles while swearing in Russian near the border!  Welcome to the mayhem.  ;D

Owen416

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 10:11:55 am »
Those kings don’t mess around in the spring.  Last year a friend and I had a double with  25 and 25.5 lb kings on and they darted side to side over and under everything.  Lots of fun!! I’m looking forward to some chaos!

joes13

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 12:13:19 pm »
Great report. Where did you launch

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 01:41:10 pm »
Seriously?

“P.S. If anyone still has boats in storage without a good reason, one has no one but himself/herself to blame  ;D
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

Got2Bite

• Full Box
    • Got2Bite Fishing Tackle
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 02:39:04 pm »
Great job and welcome to the addiction.   When I get a double or even single kings running and the adrenaline doesn't start pumping, then i will  have to give up fishing at take up needle point.  I hope that never happens, I don't like needles  ;D.

Fish Got2Bite