Author Topic: How many folks tear down their Scotty riggers annually for maintenance?  (Read 980 times)

waterdownredneck

• 30 Pounder
Howdy all.  I was wondering how many people fully tear down their Scotty riggers for maintenance?  And if so, how often do you do it?  Iím embarrassed to say I have never done it. My current 2116ís are 5yrs old with not much use, but neither my older 1116ís nor my very first long arm manuals ever received a full tear down.

Seeing I have 20 days until I choose to fish, Iím going to tackle this job which is long overdue.  Thing is, Scottyís just never give me any issues, they are always fully covered outside from the elements, booms and all, and in my basement in the off season.  They donít get a ton of use with me so I guess I felt ok neglecting them, Iím a bad owner, but whenever I sell them they always look new due to being covered I guess.  This video below is excellent, he covers everything with lots of detail. For those who have done this, is there anything I should watch out for or be mindful of?  Any tips would be appreciated.  I have a spare mount and am going to put in my basement and make this an annual winter activity moving forward.  Thanks, Jason

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sWWb9nZY9jo
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

CATNIP II

• Full Box
Don't have Scotties but I don't tear my Walter's down. I tore down the used ones when I bought them, cleaned out the old grease and relubed.  Since then I have just left them alone.

BillM

• Full Box
Only thing I've done with my Scottys is replace the counters (Which Scotty sent me for free)..  Although the wire will be coming off and 200lb braid will be going on shortly.

fisherman

• 30 Pounder
After 20+ years I broke down and got a set of spare belts which can be replaced quite easily.  Other than a couple of times, replaced the cable.

sdcaller

• 30 Pounder
Mine are 20 years old and have never been taken down.

They don't get a lot of use each year and they are in the dry unless they have been mounted on the boat for a days fishing.

I do carry a spare set of belts.

SDC

Owen416

• 30 Pounder
Sounds like youíre running out of things to do at home lol.

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
They are actually quite easy to service. One nut and the whole spool comes off.

Iíve had some noobs somehow get the downrigger cable all wrapped around the shaft somehow and had to fix it while fishing before. Wasnít hard at all.

Make sure your brake is between 35-40lbs and youíre set

krawler

• Full Box
How often woud you change your rigger cable? 

6 years old rigger cable, only lost one probe due to scotty product failure.  Just curious, dont think I have any weak points but you never now. Im dragging 18lb balls.

hookemhard

• 30 Pounder
10 years never had issues have a spare belt and digital counter just not to spoil the fishing trip.

prolinerob

• 24 Pounder
My Scotties are 1994, never changed the cable, replaced the roller and shut off button all covered by warranty!
R.

4lbstest

• 24 Pounder
İ owned mine for more than a decade and never done anything with it other than using it. İ keep mine in the garage when i am not using it.

waterdownredneck

• 30 Pounder
Too funny, weíre all the same, thanks for the replies, Iíll leave them for another 10yrs. 

As for the question of how often to change the cable, I have moved up from manuals, to the 1116 and now the 2116 about 6yrs ago and have never changed the cable.  But, I do strip off about 10í-20í every other year, cut it if I get a kink, and make a new terminal end each spring   Have only ever lost one ball and it was due to human error not the Scotty.

Also thinking of switching to braid, any additional concerns with running a FishHawk probe with braid? The videos I watch of the guys out west just use an overhand loop knot to act as the sure stop, and a loop for the cannonball, they make it look easy.
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

Tom McCutcheon

• 30 Pounder
It's been a long time since I ran a rigger. What are you guys using for braid instead of cable?

Like a lot of you, I cut a few (10 or 20) feet of wire each spring and added new terminal clips and maybe changed wire twice over the course of 25 years fishing the Big Lakes. I don't think anyone was moving to braid then.