Author Topic: Niagara BAR +, May 8  (Read 5461 times)

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
Niagara BAR +, May 8
« on: May 09, 2021, 12:03:36 am »
Another great day for newbie and his all-star crew. If I got the numbers right, 18/26, 9 kings, 1 coho (I checked his tail for spots  :) ), 5 shakers and 3 lakers. 1 laker was a pig 24lbs. One king was 23.5lbs. Everything fired but Luhr Jensen Shoehorn spoons (funky monkey, hot banana, blue trout, orange trout) overshadowed Moonshine on 7-color lead core in 40-60 fow.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

joes13

• 24 Pounder
Re: Niagara BAR +, May 8
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:19:40 am »
Did you launch in Port Dalhousie? Thanks for the repor

Dweezel

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:07:22 am »
Nicely done!  You're making my want to move!

arrow

• Smolt
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:08 am »
Get report,,, any chance I could find out more about your top lures,,, I'm new at this and don't know my lures,, a picture of your top ones would help me go buy the right ones
Thanks

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 11:37:23 am »
been havin some great luck with red headed ripplin red fins and fire tiger husky jerks
do yourself a favour. go to grimsby tackle, get some titan split rings and #2 treble hooks and change out all your hooks or you will definetly lose fish.

youre welcome 8)

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:43:18 am »
been havin some great luck with red headed ripplin red fins and fire tiger husky jerks
do yourself a favour. go to grimsby tackle, get some titan split rings and #2 treble hooks and change out all your hooks or you will definetly lose fish.

youre welcome 8)

Thanks for this. I did change some of my hooks on the spoons and ALL of my fly rigs after talking to Mark  ;D last year... Still many losses...

arrow

• Smolt
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 12:47:38 pm »
Thanks for the info,,,, Appreciated

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 09:33:37 pm »
Get report,,, any chance I could find out more about your top lures,,, I'm new at this and don't know my lures,, a picture of your top ones would help me go buy the right ones
Thanks

Hey arrow, the lures I use, Luhr Jensen Shoehorn series, are no longer made. There might be a few left in some tackle shops but it's been 5 years. There are Luhr Jensen Coyote series, I have some, and also Moonshine and Dreamweaver. There are different brands that people use so I don't want to start a war over brands. I basically started with the above lures since that's what my senior fishing buddy had.

I think that colors and lure action is very important rather than brand, and one thing I can already say with my newbie experience is that Dreamweaver paints lasts not as long as the Luhr Jensen and also, I have a few NK spoons with tape, the tape goes bye-bye very quickly (unlike Dreamweaver!).

arrow

• Smolt
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:54 pm »
Thanks again for info,,,, for a newbie all information is good

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 11:34:45 pm »
Thanks again for info,,,, for a newbie all information is good

Yeah no kidding... I am a newbie myself though at the end of the season this may officially change  8) ... I was asking like 10 boats at once at port D every time I go out how far do they go for salmons and all or almost all are silent. It's like as if some newbie guy is going to catch all the estimated 1.7 million of them. What a shame... but that's ok, I don't give a shit. We the newbies are going to get them anyways.

Kinghunted

• Shaker
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 07:43:49 am »
'Newbie' is a relevant term.

The minute you are able to 'consistently' catch salmon; you're no longer a Newbie..........sounds like you're well on your way!

So far this year between Owen Sound and Lake Ontario I've been out 8 times; never been skunked on any trip.  That is a simple goal I have; I don't need to hook dozens of salmon each time out I just want to be consistent and realistic.

Finding them is the biggest challenge; then getting them to hit is next and landing them the last challenge!

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 11:18:45 am »
'Newbie' is a relevant term.

The minute you are able to 'consistently' catch salmon; you're no longer a Newbie..........sounds like you're well on your way!

So far this year between Owen Sound and Lake Ontario I've been out 8 times; never been skunked on any trip.  That is a simple goal I have; I don't need to hook dozens of salmon each time out I just want to be consistent and realistic.

Finding them is the biggest challenge; then getting them to hit is next and landing them the last challenge!

Thank you for this Kinghunted. I am on my way, yes, but I believe there is a long way to go. I also should probably mention a few very nice people at the Angling Outfitters (mostly) and Grimsby Tackle whom I have been listening very carefully and to whom I owe part of my success. In my above comment I was referring to a professional courtesy sort-of... It would be nice if someone says something like "I was in XXX fow the other day and the fish was YYY ft down", it is nice because it saves a little time on the morning search. May be I am a little idealistic. That is, if people are not geared or don't know how to catch salmon, they won't catch even if you tell them to... Thanks again and happy season!

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 09:49:36 am »
Fantastic!  Those are some amazing numbers, what a trip for the memory bank.
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON