Author Topic: Dipsy rod bread or wire  (Read 2026 times)

IRatherBFishin

• Bob
  • 24 Pounder
Dipsy rod bread or wire
« on: May 17, 2021, 11:19:27 am »
I was just curious how to breaded line or the wireline run true when running two dipsey per side.  I have the magnum diver for the low diver and the smaller diver for the high diver. 

Is the wire easier to manage and is it’s more forgiving when turning to avoid tangles with low diver and rigger rod. I’ve had some experience when fighting a fish and the boat makes a slight sharp turn and the the lower diver runs runs into the rigger rod creating a tangle.

I currently run four dipseys on braid but don’t want to drop a ton of cash on switching over the wire as I’m on a bit of a budget.

What do you think other then drive straight 🤪😜🤓 lol when landing a fish

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
Re: Dipsy rod bread or wire
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 01:40:52 pm »
wire definetly helps dig that mag diver into the water and access that deep water

BillM

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:33:33 pm »
Couldn't pay me to reel in a copper rod.   I've been running 65lb braid on my dipsy setups for years with no issues (besides a bit of flea build up come later in the summer)

FishFarmer

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 02:59:48 pm »
Couldn't pay me to reel in a copper rod.   I've been running 65lb braid on my dipsy setups for years with no issues (besides a bit of flea build up come later in the summer)
X2 same as Lead core. NO lead in my boat.
You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

quickfish4me

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 08:39:20 pm »
Lead and copper are the rods you hand to the new guy 😂..will say my biggest salmon has come off lead core.

fishdawg

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 10:14:30 pm »

Copper & Wire 2 different things
Copper is 45lb Copper line used with planer boards
Wire as we know it is 30 lb, 7 strand and used with divers. Simple to use and a must have if your fishing Lake Ontario June-July to get deeper and repel fleas

prolinerob

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 11:37:23 pm »
I use single strand 35lb old timer for dips and musky rods, lasts forever!

Definitely not as forgiving, so if you have amateurs on board braid is safer

salmon_slayer06

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:39:39 am »
typically braid run as the high divers , the wire run on inside deeper. so they will be away from each other. just stagger everything so tangles not as a problem and let out slowly

BillM

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 11:39:40 am »

Copper & Wire 2 different things
Copper is 45lb Copper line used with planer boards
Wire as we know it is 30 lb, 7 strand and used with divers. Simple to use and a must have if your fishing Lake Ontario June-July to get deeper and repel fleas

Downriggers tend to work great for me in June/July :)   No leadcore, no copper, no wire in my boat.   am I missing out?   Who knows.

rockin-steelhead

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 06:00:27 pm »
Downriggers work great Bill but to add to the array of lines out I also run dipsy with 19 strand wire. My personal preference for dipsy setups to keep the fleas at bay. I do not find it really any different then reeling in braid. Later in the season I will run copper or leadcore off planner boards as they seem to work well on staging fish.

BillM

• Full Box
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:26 am »
Downriggers work great Bill but to add to the array of lines out I also run dipsy with 19 strand wire. My personal preference for dipsy setups to keep the fleas at bay. I do not find it really any different then reeling in braid. Later in the season I will run copper or leadcore off planner boards as they seem to work well on staging fish.

If I spent a lot of time on Lake O I'd probably have a bunch of different setups..  A few times in the spring, a few times in the summer then some days in early Sept.    I find staging fish sit with their bellies on the bottom.   Seen that a bunch of times off Port Hope last year.  Thinking they're lake trout and up comes a big fat king, lol.