Author Topic: STOCKING LAKE O  (Read 13313 times)

drjoe

• Full Box
Re: STOCKING LAKE O
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2021, 08:36:44 am »
" The original strain of Lake O L.T. is Gone " !    [ So what is the plan ? ]

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2021, 11:17:04 am »
Asian carp

gambler

• Full Box
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 11:56:11 am »

Lake trout are also  believed to consume less as they get older because the start to grow less.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

This statement is completely false according to the NYSDEC.  At the state of the lake meeting a couple years back, they stated lake trout do not prey on alewife in the first couple years of their lives. 

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2021, 01:17:49 pm »

Lake trout are also  believed to consume less as they get older because the start to grow less.

This statement is completely false according to the NYSDEC.  At the state of the lake meeting a couple years back, they stated lake trout do not prey on alewife in the first couple years of their lives.
If your going to make this statement please provide a link to a study showing so.  As I did.
This is not my"opinion".  It is a quote direct from a  peer reviewed study, as linked in my post.

soaringtuna

• Smolt
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 09:51:44 am »
There is another factor which has t been mentioned here… this might be related a long view goal of moving away from foreign species in the lake and get back to the Atlantic/ Laker natural population for Lake O. I’m not sure if atlantics were native, maybe someone can chime in on that, but perhaps this is to get back to a natural self sustaining population of native fish?

Oh and something else, the two little kings we caught last night out of Port Dalhousie had smelt, alewives AND gobies in equal proportion in their full stomachs. I was surprised, but there it is.

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 11:44:05 am »
There is another factor which has t been mentioned here… this might be related a long view goal of moving away from foreign species in the lake and get back to the Atlantic/ Laker natural population for Lake O. I’m not sure if atlantics were native, maybe someone can chime in on that, but perhaps this is to get back to a natural self sustaining population of native fish?

Oh and something else, the two little kings we caught last night out of Port Dalhousie had smelt, alewives AND gobies in equal proportion in their full stomachs. I was surprised, but there it is.
Atlantic's and Lakers are top native to predators ( along with Sturgeon) of Lake O.

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 03:14:04 pm »
The Atlantics they have stocked are as native as all the Brown, Rainbow, and Chinook/Coho all stocked in Lake Ontario.  In essence, they are also an invasive species.

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 03:24:05 pm »
The Atlantics they have stocked are as native as all the Brown, Rainbow, and Chinook/Coho all stocked in Lake Ontario.  In essence, they are also an invasive species.
You seem to have confused mildly different genetics with completely different species....
 Not to mention non- native with invasive....

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 05:22:57 pm »
I have in hope that you would correct me.

Mildly.......that is why they haven't flourished like the "non-native" pacifics did.

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 06:00:22 pm »
I have in hope that you would correct me.

Mildly.......that is why they haven't flourished like the "non-native" pacifics did.
Pacific's failed in their first attempt too.
The Atlantic's also have to compete with the millions of Pacific's and Rainbows...
And, I have heard of quite a few a being caught this year.
I know how bad you want them to fail, but it looks like they just might work out...

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2021, 07:33:00 am »
" Pacifics have failed in their first attempt also " ! When was that ? Do not let your opinions be confused by the facts !

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2021, 08:41:40 am »
" Pacifics have failed in their first attempt also " ! When was that ? Do not let your opinions be confused by the facts !
1873 -1947 Fact.
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/37635

Strike Zone

• Full Box
STOCKING LAKE O
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2021, 08:56:43 am »
Hmmm. Seems they also failed with the stocking of Atlantic’s previously, and it was a serious effort with 5 million stocked in a period of several years prior to their extinction. 100 years later Chinooks and Cohos were successfully stocked. What has changed to make the introduction of a genetically different strain of Atlantic’s successful and arguably at the expense of other species that could be stocked?

“the failure to establish, by salmon culture, permanent or sizable populations of Atlantic or Pacific salmon in any of the Great Lakes in 1867-1965”

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 09:17:35 am »
Hmmm. Seems they also failed with the stocking of Atlantic’s previously. Note it also doesn’t state how many of each species were stocked out of the 5 million total.

“the failure to establish, by salmon culture, permanent or sizable populations of Atlantic or Pacific salmon in any of the Great Lakes in 1867-1965”
Quite true.  I never said they didn't.  My point was that Pacific's had been stocked, and failed, in the past.

Not sure why you guys are so dead against the Atlantic program.  It's a losing battle for you as the general public wants it.
Do you think it is affecting your Chinook stocking?  Both the US and Canadian side have said no.  So why does it seem to personally hurt you that BOTH governments have a mandate to try and reestablish a native species?

cams

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2021, 09:32:20 am »
Hmmm. Seems they also failed with the stocking of Atlantic’s previously. Note it also doesn’t state how many of each species were stocked out of the 5 million total.

Quite true.  I never said they didn't.  My point was that Pacific's had been stocked, and failed, in the past.

Not sure why you guys are so dead against the Atlantic program.  It's a losing battle for you as the general public wants it.
Do you think it is affecting your Chinook stocking?  Both the US and Canadian side have said no.  So why does it seem to personally hurt you that BOTH governments have a mandate to try and reestablish a native species?

It just seems like these agencies are stuck in past, refusing to accept that the great lakes of 100 years ago do not exist.  In my opinion, the fisheries agencies need to accept data from their studies, be more open minded to what the systems can support, and get the best value from funding they are provided.

I can see niche value in programs like the Atlantic and aurora programs, but I don't think they fit the overall conditions of our freshwater systems in Ontario. My opinion.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk