Author Topic: 1st launch tomorrow from Jordon, any tips?  (Read 3486 times)

Raycaster

• Shaker
1st launch tomorrow from Jordon, any tips?
« on: May 26, 2021, 07:23:06 pm »
Winds look good tomorrow for a launch from Jordon (Hope its open) and looking for any tips.

I heard that I should head south as much as possible and keep shallow...

This is my second year trying to figure out lake O so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thx ahead!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

rockin-steelhead

• Full Box
Re: 1st launch tomorrow from Jordon, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:22:01 pm »
I’ve heard it’s shallow there so be alert.

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:14:10 pm »
Oh, you mean the launch is shallow? I could just launch from Hamilton Bayfront but hoping to save time.

rockin-steelhead

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:47:25 pm »
Getting out to the lake as well I’ve heard there is a large chuck of cement somewhere you need to be on the look out for. I’d got to Port Dalhousie to launch personally.

King Commander67

• Smolt
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 12:20:24 pm »
the last time I was there keep more to the center of the ramp especially loading your boat both sides of the ramp are really uneven , and watch our for the cement junks along the edge , would keep motor tilted , till you clear the ramp area heading out.

joes13

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 04:08:52 pm »
I launched there last week. Water level is low so be careful of shallow areas near the ramp. Good reports of fish being caught from the Welland Canal down to the Niagara river bar. It may be better to launchin Port Dalhousie. It’s a nicer ramp and about 15 minutes down the road fromJordan. I have a 17 ft Lund and had no problems with the water depth at the ramp in Jordan

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 04:56:53 pm »
I launched around 9am with no other boaters around so took it really slow without problems.
Waves were out till 10am then it was smooth and made for a beautiful day.

Started the season by losing my down-rigger weight almost immediately. While setting up my crew-mate informed me we were at 58 depth soooo to quicken the story I will say water temp was 58F but the depth was 42ft... It was choppy and by the time I realized we were dragging it was heavily snagged and POP. :-[

Not happy but I was given the old used Walker Down-rigger last year and the line should of been replaced. Will give me a chance to go braid and a lesson learned.

That was the excitement for the day as I trolled south zigzagging 40 - 70 ft with dipseys switching up with spoon and fly's etc.

Not too many arcs on the sonar to report and ended up 0-0.

Not a great day but OK when looking at the weather today.

vmuravin

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 05:41:04 pm »
I launched around 9am with no other boaters around so took it really slow without problems.
Waves were out till 10am then it was smooth and made for a beautiful day.

Started the season by losing my down-rigger weight almost immediately. While setting up my crew-mate informed me we were at 58 depth soooo to quicken the story I will say water temp was 58F but the depth was 42ft... It was choppy and by the time I realized we were dragging it was heavily snagged and POP. :-[

Not happy but I was given the old used Walker Down-rigger last year and the line should of been replaced. Will give me a chance to go braid and a lesson learned.

That was the excitement for the day as I trolled south zigzagging 40 - 70 ft with dipseys switching up with spoon and fly's etc.

Not too many arcs on the sonar to report and ended up 0-0.

Not a great day but OK when looking at the weather today.

Hey Raycaster,

Sorry I am a little late with my response, was offline. I had an early AM sneakout off Bronte 2 days ago (check my report in the North Shore Reports). I trolled all the way to Grimsby covering 50-220fow, so technically, this was 70% south shore trip. We ended up with 9/16, 1 laker, 6 cohos, 1 rainbow and 1 more shaker of some sort. Another 5-6 hits on planers with nothing afterwards are not counted. All on 3-5 colors, 100ft weighted steel, sliders on riggers and 0 on the riggers 40ft and 50ft down. One exception is the pig-laker 145 fow off bottom on flasher/fly. There may have been kings here and there but throwing the ball at them produced nothing. I also had 3 or 4 times fish going up towards riggers as much as 50-60ft but again, nothing.

I went to Bronte in the first place because the wind pushed the warm water to north shore and a few guys there if I believe their say got 5 king salmons off LFP. So I checked the surface water temp, which is something I did not do last season, and once I launched the boat I got a little nervous because the temperature was 44-46F. South wind took it to the south again. So we took our shit and hit it to 140fow then trolled towards south covering all these depths.

You need to get to warm waters, the moment the water temperature was above 54F, the bites start. The moment it was below, the bites stop. For this, you need to get a little deeper as winds were juggling the warm water from the south shore to the north shore and back. The water temperature was on surface 54-56 where all bites were, and 30-40ft down it was frozen like Justin Trudeau's brain, 41-42F.

Anyhow, I still wish that a few boaters here and there would write a few words about their outing in the last 14 days. I deliberately wrote nothing about my outings on May 14-15 around BAR in order to see if anyone would. We have got 7/12 (5 kings, 2 lakers) and 6/6 (0 kings, 5 lakers, 1 tagged Atlantic) respectively.

That's my newbie advice, though a little late. Happy season!
Cheers Vlad

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 11:24:13 am »
Very much appreciate the feedback.

I have a portable fishhawk to check depth of dipsys but will start checking temps for sure. Its my 2nd year learning so Im trying to comb over forum threads and make adjustments to routine etc.

Will probably head out of Dalhousie next week and see what happens.

Kinghunted

• Shaker
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 05:17:21 pm »
I don't think the Turd's brain is frozen............I think it's DEAD!