Author Topic: Leader length with dips  (Read 8052 times)

Bob Webster

• Full Box
Re: Leader length with dips
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 06:31:49 pm »
Great post Bob, thanks for the pictures. How heavy is your leader line? 40#?

B
Wow I’m glad I asked
Thanks for the pics!!!
Looks like a great set up
Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You welcome!
I've had alot of help so I'm always willing to help back.
Anu, I use 30#.  Don't think there is much need for more than 20.  My 30# is because that's what I had at the time.  I use Trilene Big Game.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 07:11:18 pm »
Hi Bob, i like this idea as well, i may be missing something but can the dipsey fall off?  What else is attaching it?  Sorry if I'm missing the point.  I use braid, so my 20’ leader would be tied to my braid, then the leader straight to the lure?  Where do you clip he dipsey, right at the connection between braid/wire and leader?  And the dipsey will not pop off?  I really like this set up and will get a clip, is 16 the size? Is that like a Scotty clip?  Wow, and you think you dumbed it down already?  Can u pls dumb it down one more notch?  Thanks and x2 on the great post.  J
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

joes13

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 09:44:11 am »
This makes sense. I was out with a buddy and noticed he had a length of mono
Between the wire and the dipsy.
Makes things easier when you break your rods down. You don’t get any
Kinks because it’s only mono running through the guides when you store it.

Question is how do you join the mono or flouro section to the wire?
Thanks
I like this idea. Does the dipsey still trip when a fish hits.

ote author=Bob Webster link=topic=41245.msg223811#msg223811 date=1622936135]
Use clips on your Dipsey so you can remove it.  Then make your lead as long as you want

If you only fish with mono or braid that might be the case.   Not wire
Incorrect.  I use it with wire dipseys all the time.  You still use a leader with wire?
The Dipsey is attached to the leader.

Use an Albright knot.
Here is my set up.  I have about 20' of mono as a leader. 
OR 16 clip ( knock off) .  You only need one.  Loop the line around the clip and ensure its behind the pin!  When you get a fish simply remove the clip and reel in the fish.  WAY easier than a slider or hand-lining a 20 lber.
Pictures because I find that easier...

[/quote]

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 11:56:57 am »
Hi Bob, i like this idea as well, i may be missing something but can the dipsey fall off?  What else is attaching it?  Sorry if I'm missing the point.  I use braid, so my 20’ leader would be tied to my braid, then the leader straight to the lure?  Where do you clip he dipsey, right at the connection between braid/wire and leader?  And the dipsey will not pop off?  I really like this set up and will get a clip, is 16 the size? Is that like a Scotty clip?  Wow, and you think you dumbed it down already?  Can u pls dumb it down one more notch?  Thanks and x2 on the great post.  J

Hey Redneck.
There is nothing else holding the dipsey.   As long as you get the line looped BEHIND THE PIN of the OR16 clip it won't fall off.  Of the hundreds of times I've done this I did loose a Dipsey, one time, when I failed to do this.
OR 16 is the same clips they use for snap weights.  It's made by Off Shore Tackle.  I buy the knock off Chinese version at 1/5 the price, but the real ones are better.
With Braid you can do the clip right to your main line or leader.  It can be any distance you want from your bait.  Don't do it at the knot.  No point in more than 50' IMO.  Probably no point after 20'....
Pictures.

onthemoney

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 05:49:30 pm »
I must be missing something- My question is how does the dipsy trip with only tension on the release arm but no back tension? I really like the idea and will give it a try.

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 02:51:07 pm »
Ok thanks again Bob, yes now I understand and want to try it.  Like onthemoney said, how does it trip, from the force of setting the hook or releasing it, against the force of the water itself? 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 07:24:08 pm »
I must be missing something- My question is how does the dipsy trip with only tension on the release arm but no back tension? I really like the idea and will give it a try.
Ok thanks again Bob, yes now I understand and want to try it.  Like onthemoney said, how does it trip, from the force of setting the hook or releasing it, against the force of the water itself?
I can't explain how.  I just know it does. .
Occasionally I have to pop it , with a quick Hook set, after the fish is on but usually it pops.