Author Topic: Wind direction  (Read 3232 times)

Jimcarp2o2

• Smolt
Wind direction
« on: June 05, 2021, 06:29:46 am »
Hey guys just wondering what the best wind directions are to look to for calm waters on lake Ontario. I'm new on lake Ontario i would be fishing Jordan area.

Ive fished Erie for 20 yrs Dover to Dunnville, Port Maitland and always if there is a south west wind I'm going golfing. if there is a north wind  i make sure the gas tank is full water will be like glass.
What directions are good on lake Ontario?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Jumbohuey

• Smolt
Re: Wind direction
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 07:45:40 am »
Anything out of north or east is bad for the south or southwest side of the lake where Jordan is.
An off shore wind will create waves but it is the swells that form from wind running length of lake
that make it really rough and can last for a day after.

stlhdr1

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 09:42:57 pm »
the old saying was if lake O was not fishable then go to lake E.and vice versa.. is true

Kinghunted

• Shaker
Re: Wind direction - Good example this past Saturday
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:57:29 am »
Been fishing Lake Ontario since 1977; based on many times being 'fooled' by the marine forecast this seems to work well for me.

Based on the forecast the winds were to be SW 30 gusting to 50 that meant we only had a chance of fishing by launching in Hamilton Harbour it was blowing a lot stronger nearer to shore because the warmed up air over the land was being blown to the NE but also the temperature differential between land breeze and over water air was close to 20 deg. C this warmer air was 'rushing' toward the lake's colder air so to speak.  In 100 feet of water we still had to contend with 1m whitecapping waves; boat control/speed was almost impossible; we ended up fishing less than 70 feet of water and ended up 5 for 6, 4 lakers - 2 in the 16lb class and a nice 6lb coho which I kept filled with fresh ate alewife; we found the bait, we found the fish.  Lakers on the bottom; chrome/blue/black dots Shoehorn was the ticket; others came of a No. 1 watermelon wire dipsey on no. 2 1/2 setting 150 feet out; coho was caught off a rigger 33/60 on a Pro Star monkey dunk spoon.

Back to the wind.

1)  Based out of Jordan any wind up to 40 kph is fishable from the SW, S, SE, West is marginal, N, NE, E are no goes.
2)  Check both the marine forecast issued at 5:30 by environment Canada and Windytv site or Sailflow; type in your port and you will see current and forecast wind speeds and directions.
3)  Be prepared to be surprised (less wind) or disappointed (more wind/wrong direction) on any given day!
4)  Several days of E or NE wind can set up large 4 to 6 foot swells which could last a day or so, the wind could be offshore but these swells will be topped off by surface wind blown waves; now you're in a washing machine - this to me in the worst conditions for fishability and comfort.  I've had many seasoned sailors succumb to this over the years.
5)  In my experience calm days are great but only o.k. for fishing; days with a slight chop on the water seem to be best.

One other thing; I learned the hard way based on surviving Black Sunday back in August 24, 1983 or 84; blue bird day, calm seas, coho schools out in 300 feet of water off Port Credit; once I got out there started hammering them until a squall warning was issued by Env. Canada for the Western basin.  Within 10 to 15 minutes the winds were peaking at 80 to 90 kph, waves were about 8 to 10 feet and the tops being wind blown off causing a heavy mist at eye level and I was in a 15 foot boat.....300 boats capsized that day (I was lucky, almost ran out of gas fighting the wind/waves the 2 1/2 hours it took to get back to shore) and two fishermen drowned; since then I promised myself I would not venture out that far with a slower small boat, pay attention to the forecast, pay attention to the weather/conditions and buy a bigger boat (which I did).

Good luck.

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 09:24:31 am »
Good topic ! Watch for a change in wind direction ! usually not good ! East is least at the western end of Lake Ontario ! Also monitor barometric pressure ! ie. high or rising good , low or falling quickly not good !

speerzy

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 11:59:58 am »
Great topic!!! Thanks for the information

Raycaster

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:05:32 am »
Thank you for the info.

I have a 16ft aluminum and just started last year launching from Bayfront or Jordon. Love fishing but since I’m usually solo I really fuss about wind and my golden rule I have always used is 15k/hr is my limit.

That being said I still am envious weekly when I read reports of it being like “glass” when reports said 25…

My boat has safety equipment x2 and I always wear pfds when solo so I will now incorporate the wind direction in decisions now.

For beginners on Lake Ontario these tidbits help a ton, thx.

cams

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 10:18:10 am »
I'll throw my 2 cents in for durham guys.

I use the Windfinder app and access the Ajax buoy.  Year to year the data seems to vary. Some years, if the buoy is reading 0.3ft waves, it's actually at the point of white caps. Other years it's 0.9 or 1.1 ft readings until it starts white capping.  The decent thing is, once you have a reference point for the season, it's usually consistent.   Us 16 footers have a smaller window to get out. White caps are my personal limit.

I find the windfinder apps wave and wind forecast to be decent. Like other forecasts, it can change at any time, but it's typically good for forecasting the next day.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 09:24:27 am »
Ditto on the " white caps " ! If they are coming up on  small boat get off !