Author Topic: We're stewarts of the water arn't we?  (Read 2363 times)

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
We're stewarts of the water arn't we?
« on: July 02, 2021, 02:07:20 pm »
Hey there everyone. A bit of Rant.
As my handle suggests, Duffin is the Ajax creek I've fished for almost 40years. I stopped river fishing years ago solely due to all the garbage we find on the banks, tims coffee cups, garbage, cigarette butts and the half wits who continue to poach year after year(and the confrontations that ensue).

On Canada Day my wife and I launched out of Whitby, it was busy as was every ramp I assume. Tons of boats on the water. With this much boat traffic we assume lots of people saw what we saw floating about on the water...

As a group, we're on the water a lot, why not try cleaning the lake up a wee bit while we're trolling. I'm not suggesting really going out of your way but perhaps grab a piece of floating debris off the water each outing.
Out of the Whitby port while trolling we could see metallic garbage floating in the water about 3 klms off shore. We Simply trolled over to collect what it was to dispose of it properly.

We see these bloody metallic balloons all the time in the water, if they're not out of the way why not grab 'em off the water and get rid of them properly.

I think collectively we could make a difference by picking up a bit of garbage each trip.

Who's in????

(pic is what we gathered off the lake on Canada Day)

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

quickfish4me

• 30 Pounder
Re: We're stewarts of the water arn't we?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 02:58:22 pm »
I too like to grab what I can going by. The amount of trash floating is 1/1000 as to the amount in there. Each do our part and it will help in the long run. My parent’s taught me and my family to pick up after our selfs and never litter. But that was a different time I guess.

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 05:46:42 pm »
I too like to grab what I can going by. The amount of trash floating is 1/1000 as to the amount in there. Each do our part and it will help in the long run. My parent’s taught me and my family to pick up after our selfs and never litter. But that was a different time I guess.
Yup, It Matters. If we all do a wee bit I'm sure it'll help both the aquatic life and those that live above the water line.  If nothing else, this crap isn't fouling someones prop.

Thanks for helping quickfish4me

DPROCTOR91

• Shaker
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 09:45:47 am »
I did the same thing last week balloons all over the lake garbage everywhere

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 11:54:35 am »
I did the same thing last week balloons all over the lake garbage everywhere

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk
Way to go, those things are a bloody menace. Thanks for being a caring and responsible boater.

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:15:01 pm »
We all need to do the same.  Trip before last I got a nice soccer ball.

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 09:38:41 am »
Great topic ! As with any problem ; you are part of the problem or part of the solution ! Every time I go out on the lake I will clean up as best I can ! As posted it will all ad up !

joes13

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 10:57:44 am »
For this reason, helium balloons should be banned. I find them in the lake quite often. They are a hazard to wildlife and can also damage a boat motor if it get tangled in a prop.

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 11:33:17 am »
Way to go Catnip and drjoe, thats awesome. Joes13, I agree, the joy of helium filled balloons is fleeting, as sooner or later they'll spend most of their life polluting the water or landing in some pristine park. Keep up the good work everyone. While our efforts individually may seem small, collectively we'll make a difference.

salmon_slayer06

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 06:44:36 pm »
thanks for taking time to do that. fishing the beach on lk Michigan balloon strings, shotgun wads and misc. plastic stuff is the norm. the misc plastic stuff getting worse and worse.

DMcFaul

• Shaker
    • Wellington Rescue
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 07:36:55 am »
I think I've brought off at least 50 of those damn mylar baloons off the lake already this season.
Dirty Patricia ; 21' Striper      -      Unit Leader ; Wellington Rescue

Salmonator

• Shaker
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 06:10:31 pm »
Had a Garbage bag tangle my buddys kicker today when I was out with him. Bogged it right down. What a pain!
I try to pick up what I see too.
For all those P.E.T.A people, plants are living things too, just easier to catch...

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 10:34:55 am »
Great to see a lot of us are trying to do our part to keep the water safe and clean. Thank You everyone!!!!

M_P

• Shaker
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 04:03:18 pm »
Some days it seems the landing net is out more for trash than for fish. We also end up finding one of those foil balloons every year when we are North hunting. They are always found in the same general area of the grounds that we hunt. Hills and valleys must create consistent wind patterns that drop them in the same area....