Author Topic: Best Sonar settings for Lake Ontario salmon  (Read 4995 times)

joes13

• 24 Pounder
Best Sonar settings for Lake Ontario salmon
« on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:21 am »
I’m relatively new to salmon fishing. I have a Humminbird Helix 5 G2 with chirp and down scan. What settings work best for salmon fishing on Lake Ontario. I have just purchased a down rigger so I want to know what frequencies work best for seeing the ball.
Thanks

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

silvertracker

• 24 Pounder
Re: Best Sonar settings for Lake Ontario salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:46:12 am »
200 khz- wii give wide cone- and should mark balls

83 will be best for right under the boat= turn the noise down to low

Owen416

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 10:53:46 am »
Med chirp

Puck5760

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 01:31:58 pm »
200 khz- wii give wide cone- and should mark balls

83 will be best for right under the boat= turn the noise down to low

The reverse is actually true - the lower the frequency the wider the cone but less detail - 50 kHz would be the best (widest) cone then 83, then 200.  CHIRP combines frequencies in a range - For example med chirp might shoot various frequencies in the 75-90 kHz and combine them into a picture

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 03:17:52 pm »
I have both a Humminbird 7 and a 5 on our boat. We just played with the settings until we could actually see both balls under the boat, then a wee bit of further adjusting had us seeing streaks/fish moving towards our bait as well. Sometimes these settings are not the best option for every situation. As we're trolling Lake O, I like to play around with the setting to see what we can improve upon...god knows we have enough time to test settings in-between hits as of late.

Use different screens to display different settings. The Humminbirds are quite versitile.

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:30:41 pm »
For marking your balls you want the lowest MHz available to allow for the widest cone.
It also may help to lift your transducer 1 notch.
You hummingbird should have the availability to split the screen with multiple cones.  Use 200hz for one and 83 for the other.  Anything on the 200 is closer to your boat.
Don't use auto sensitivity.  Set it just high enough to not mess up your screen.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 03:52:01 pm »
When boat is moving (not too fast) to find fish (rods up, search mode) ... tight cone to get back better pings.
When lines are out, and you fishing ... wide cone, cover more area ... side to side.

Play with your gains too. I had to turn my Lowrance gain up to mark fish better.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...