Author Topic: Dipsy Diver on big boards...  (Read 3578 times)

Darkfish

• Shaker
Dipsy Diver on big boards...
« on: July 12, 2021, 10:58:40 am »
I saw a charter captain use dipsy divers (braided line). He deployed Big Jon Otter boards... now these were the smaller dipsy's.  But still, using a scotty release he would deploy the dipsy, get out lots of line, put the braided line into the clip, attach clip to planer board line, let out more line from the reel until the line was a good 40 feet from boat... rinse and repeat until 3 lines out on each side of boat.  this guy got 3 on each side of his boat (there were 7 of us aboard, big boat too).

I cannot duplicate this for the life of me!  When I use a dipsy on braided line and use that same scotty clip is slips out all the time... plus, the tension on my planer board really pulls the board in to my boat until it inevitably slips out of the clip...

Any suggestions?   I really like this method of fishing and would love to duplicate it... 

thanks in advance

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Bob Webster

• Full Box
Re: Dipsy Diver on big boards...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »
Seems redundant on a Mast board?  Or are you talking inline?
Either way, use a loop in your braid to use in the clip. 

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Darkfish

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 09:50:55 pm »
Seems redundant on a Mast board?  Or are you talking inline?
Either way, use a loop in your braid to use in the clip. 

Hi Bob, I tried using a loop - the "pull" of the dipsy diver seems to still rip it out of the clip.  Not sure what you mean by redundant? It is a mast board. By using the boards deployed out - I can put 3 dipsy divers out to each side (each one with a zero setting) and then I know they won't tangle.  I understand 2 on one side can be done without a board - but once I want to deploy 3 I think it is too challenging.

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 10:15:12 am »
With all at #1 setting you can't get them to move out on a Mast board unless your turning....a recipe for disaster. 
It would work with a big inline like TX44's.  I've done it.
Easier to send three if you use 1,2&3 settings.

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 10:20:54 am »
This is 5 lines on one side of a 17' boat.  Zero tangles for a full day. 
1 rigger (with free slider)
1 300' weighted steel on closer board
1 10 colour core on furthest board ( best line last year btw)
1 Dipsey with# 1
1 Dipsey with #3
Only two dipseys but I've done three.  I would just remove one of my boards and add a Dipsey at #2

Darkfish

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 11:12:40 am »
1 Dipsey with# 1
1 Dipsey with #3
Only two dipseys but I've done three.  I would just remove one of my boards and add a Dipsey at #2

First of all, thank you very much for responding and even including a photo. Very kind of you. Members like you make this a great site. If you don't mind, I just have a few of questions...
1. I think but please confirm, when setting up, you start with boards, then dipsy's? (I figure rigger is not important, it can be deployed whenever).
2. If you catch a fish on the dipsy, it looks like you need to go under the board lines, is that correct?
3. Any special tips for letting out a dipsy or board after catching a fish? I fear I would catch another line while deploying and get a tangled mess.

Thanks again Bob - great help (I will pay it forward one day when I know something of value for this forum...)

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 04:12:49 pm »

1 Dipsey with# 1
1 Dipsey with #3

First of all, thank you very much for responding and even including a photo. Very kind of you. Members like you make this a great site. If you don't mind, I just have a few of questions...
1. I think but please confirm, when setting up, you start with boards, then dipsy's? (I figure rigger is not important, it can be deployed whenever).
2. If you catch a fish on the dipsy, it looks like you need to go under the board lines, is that correct?
3. Any special tips for letting out a dipsy or board after catching a fish? I fear I would catch another line while deploying and get a tangled mess.

Thanks again Bob - great help (I will pay it forward one day when I know something of value for this forum...)

FYI this is a terrible set up.  But, because it's a small boat ( my buddies) with limited rod arrangements, I made it work.  If you look close you'll notice I used a piece of aluminum angle to mount 2 holders.   Ideally your board rods would be furthest forward..

1) I usually start with the rigger..  fast out.  Sometimes catch fish before the others are out.  Put sliders on after your set.
After that it really doesn't matter.  I start core line, and weighted steel,  out the back of the boat, attached board and lift it up and over other sets.  Let line out under tension until your at your desired distance.
Though you could do the same with dipseys I usually let them out from the side.  Order, with two, doesn't matter.  Would be trickier with three.  In that case I'd do 1(or 0), then 3 then 2, if that makes sense?
2) Fish on the Dipsey does need to go under the board, yes.  That's why, ideally, board rods would be further forward.
3) nothing special if you have your set up correct.
Deeper rods closer to the boat.  Any other lines should go over during set up.  Make sure you keep straight while letting line out...
With the setup in the picture I did pull the weighted steel (closest board) in a bit while resetting the core line ( furthest board).  This was more to make it easier to manoeuvre the boards than tangle issues though.

I'm no expert but I've learned alot over the last 9 yrs.  I don't have a fancy boat.  I use my deck boat for everything from family outings, bass, Pike, walleye, muskie, and salmon.  It's not meant for salmon but I have to use what I have.  To get better you've just got to go and try.  I was also lucky enough to attend a free salmon seminar early on, put on by one of the members of this forum.
If your ever in the Kingston area let me know!