Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 5085 times)

Hi-Vol

• 24 Pounder
Fleas
« on: July 15, 2021, 12:35:39 am »
Hey Gang,

I am wondering about other's tricks to remove or lessen Spiny Water Fleas on their line.

I have found that while reeling in i slap the line a few times on the water under tension and it really helps to reduce the amount of fleas.

What are tricks others use to reduce, or remove them?

PS. I am not changing my line to cable. (20 - 25lb Big Game is personal preference)

Thanks all

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

onelastcast1

• 30 Pounder
Re: Fleas
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 09:51:42 am »
I went from 25 to 30lbs big game.  Big difference in the fleas and I don't notice the thickness on my reel or catching rate.

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 01:34:10 pm »
I switch all my rigger rods to 40# Big Game.  Wire dipsey line and lead core are not a problem.

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 03:43:27 pm »
I prefer to stick with my 20# line for the feel of the fight and deal with the frustration of the fleas and do the slap and whack technique like you do.  My personal preference is I just don’t like big line or flea flicker, although it does work.  What I do during the heaviest part of the season is break off quite often, like a-lot and snap the fleas each time, by doing this there are very few.  It also gives me something to do, entices the odd hook up from a follower and keeps the fleas to a minimum.  I realize I might be missing a following fish, but if he was following he might not have hit anyway, and I do find it creates extra hits if there was a follower. 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:32:06 pm »
Flea file.
A paint stick with the adhesive velcro, hook side not loop.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 04:43:02 pm »
Im trying to picture it, do you cut a groove for the line?  What do you do when it all gets to the swivel?  Have any pictures by chance?  New ideas are always great.

cams

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 02:01:44 pm »
I prefer to stick with my 20# line for the feel of the fight and deal with the frustration of the fleas and do the slap and whack technique like you do.  My personal preference is I just don’t like big line or flea flicker, although it does work.  What I do during the heaviest part of the season is break off quite often, like a-lot and snap the fleas each time, by doing this there are very few.  It also gives me something to do, entices the odd hook up from a follower and keeps the fleas to a minimum.  I realize I might be missing a following fish, but if he was following he might not have hit anyway, and I do find it creates extra hits if there was a follower.
You mean pop the line from the rigger to shake the fleas and reset?

I've fished with different line weights on the riggers, couldn't tell the difference between 20 and 40 big game for feeling the fight.

I've fished 40# big game with a rod length of 30# fluorocarbon leader for a few seasons.  Get a few fleas building at the leader knot, but totally manageable.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 03:01:32 pm »
Exactly Cams. When it comes to downrigging I must be adhd, I love to stay busy so breaking off often and switching spoons takes care of the fleas easily with one or two slaps, they are never down long enough to collect too many.  I use 30# for guest rods but my Islanders and long moochers for me, and when I tried heavy line for the fleas, it felt like cable and I lost the “feel” so I stick with my 20# and break off more often.

cams

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 03:57:04 pm »
Exactly Cams. When it comes to downrigging I must be adhd, I love to stay busy so breaking off often and switching spoons takes care of the fleas easily with one or two slaps, they are never down long enough to collect too many.  I use 30# for guest rods but my Islanders and long moochers for me, and when I tried heavy line for the fleas, it felt like cable and I lost the “feel” so I stick with my 20# and break off more often.
I feel like I'm the opposite. If I have to pop to clear debris, in my head I just missed my opportunity on a 40# haha.  Another benefit, you won't be dragging a dink around for who knows how long.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 08:53:52 am »
It’s also amazing how many times I find debris on the hook, if I had not have checked I would have dragged it and not caught anything.  Basically it keeps me busy, the lack of fleas are an added benefit.

Darkfish

• Shaker
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 11:09:48 am »
Fished Bronte yesterday and the fleas were really bad. Don't remember them being this bad in quite some time. Fishing sucked too...  I am interested in the velcro "hack"...  but I too cannot picture it

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 06:57:19 pm »
Im trying to picture it, do you cut a groove for the line?  What do you do when it all gets to the swivel?  Have any pictures by chance?  New ideas are always great.
Just reel in until you have a bunch of fleas.  Then run it at a 45° angle across your line

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 07:32:41 pm »
I have never seen the flea so bad.  Even 40# mono is collecting them.

SkeinMachine

• Full Box
  • Spoon MODerator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »
I have never seen the flea so bad.  Even 40# mono is collecting them.

Fish Hook Flea's collect on everything, rigger cables, wire divers, 50 lb mono, cores, coppers, even the knots while using flea flicker.

Even noticed them from the pier casting crowd already.

Hope for a east wind to flip the lake, they don't like ice water.

30 lb wire diver.....

50 lb mono on a rigger....

You know they're thick when they shut down your wire divers  :-\ :-\ :-\

Can someone explain to me how you slap them off your line/scrape them off, while a mature fish is charging at the boat :o :o ?? 

jds

• Shaker
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 12:12:29 pm »
Lower the rod tip deep into the water.... rip the rod straight up hard, like you're setting the hook on a big bass.. most will fall off with the water pressure..