Author Topic: Fishing partner - Eastern Ontario  (Read 3235 times)

Dweezel

• Shaker
Fishing partner - Eastern Ontario
« on: July 15, 2021, 11:13:17 am »
I thought i would try this again.  The first time around, i did meet some great people but nothing consistent yet.

Since switching over to fishing Lake Ontario and the Bay of Quinty,  I noticed is that it would be easier to fish the Big "O" with someone else. I have always fished the St. Lawrence (out of Morrisburg) on my own but the Lake is a different animal.

I'm not hard to get along with but there are things that i just can't stomach.

-Gear and garbage should be put away: If I have to jump over gear to get to a rod, it's a problem. No one should have to pickup someone elses garbage.
-It's not a charter: if the person is not paying for the opportunity, help out.
-Show up on time: Time on land is time lost fishing. If i'm going fishing, I'm the guy that will show up early even if the launch time is 4 AM.
-Gas money: I'm not asking to share the boat payments but offering gas money goes a long way.
-Respect the boat: Gear track is not a place to jamb a pop can while lures are being changed.
-Knives don't mix with upholstery: I wouldn't leave a kitchen knife on a couch...leave the fillet knife at the cutting board station (there's one on the boat)
-I'm not the best fisherman but i love to fish: i'm not here to compete with those on the boat...

Alright, now that my boat pet peeves are out of the way, who am I?
-I'm the guy at a gathering that everyone thinks is an *** because he is not socializing. I don't need to talk all the time and hate gatherings. I'm straight forward and don't like beating around the bush. Don't get me wrong, I like to joke around. I live in Chesterville and usually fish out of Morrisburg when not heading out to Quinte and Lake "O".

I have my own boat with all the gear,  enough to accomodate anyone on the boat. Lots of room for another. My son is moved out and in university...so my weekends are mostly my own.  I am currently signed up with SSC so anyone else in the boat needs a ticket also.

There's a couple of guys that I fish with once or twice per year (their famillies get in the way of their fishing time). I am looking for another who is afflicted by the same fishing sickness but who can make it out more often.

If you don't have any issues with anything above, let me know.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
Re: Fishing partner - Eastern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 03:54:39 pm »
It’s a good thing you are so easy going  ;D... just kidding.  Doing boat sharing I guess you never know who you are getting so it’s better to be honest up front with your expectations. This is a dumb question but ever thought of fishing solo and not having to worry about a guest?  It’s a very nice of you to give someone a chance to fish who does not have their own boat but it sounds like you have had your fair share of negative experiences.  I took a guy once many, many years ago on my dad’s boat who was asking everyone at the dock if he could come along, he was cleaning his toe nails with my fishing knife and tossing the huge clumps of toe jam on the deck, I kid you not, although I’m laughing while typing this, I’m almost gagging like I was that day as his feet smelled like rotten cheese, I dropped him off and went back out, and promptly cleaned my deck 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

Dweezel

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 04:09:41 pm »
Lmao...and gagging...no points for being a nice guy. 

My son once told me that sometimes i should be a little less honest...he was 9.  I think he was wiser at that age than i am now.  I totally believe in not hiding anything that way i can never get caught with a lie.

I fish solo all the time.  I tend to be a very technical person and try to figure everything out.  There are many presentations that you can't do with only 2 lines out.  With the right partner you can always bounce ideas off each other to get you thinking down different paths.  Its also easier to manage a 22 ft boat in a crowded area if things go a little sideways.  I built this boat so i can fish alone but a good partner can open other doors.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 04:39:42 pm »
I’m the same as you Dweezle, my boats have been arranged just for me as I prefer the time alone on the water.  If I do take a guest, I much prefer to take someone who has never been on the lake or new to fishing as I love the look when they tie into a dancing rainbow, screaming salmon or anything for that matter, they even just like the boat ride or seeing Stelco and Dafasco lit up at 5am when it’s calm and they see the reflection in the water, most people don’t get to see the things we do. I find with other anglers there are too many suggestions on other things to try, I’m just a bit of an A-hole sometimes that way :)

That said, as you mentioned on a bigger boat it’s helpful, someone with health issues, or just a nicer person than me that’s willing to share a ride, it’s nice to have someone else along for the ride to share some fish “tails”.  I threw that knife out that night ASAP when I got home
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON