Author Topic: The Ganny blood bath  (Read 15824 times)

spincast

• 30 Pounder
Re: The Ganny blood bath
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2021, 10:17:33 pm »
Funny how no one complains about all the derbies on the lake, or the charters who keep everything they boat.
   These derbies 4 man per boat only allowed to weigh in 5 fish, yet can keep 20 which is a 4 man limit. Big fish Friday then Saturday and sometimes Sunday.  The amount of fish killed on a weekend due to a derbies is crazy, willing to bet at least 75% don't even get cleaned
Not saying wasting fish in the river is any better, but id say its about equal.

Ontario Salmon Derby is different its biggest fish over all. I don't think guys are filling coolers of fish to weigh in the GOSD

IMO GOSD is no different, lot of released fish either die or go back with destroyed mouths. Those treble hooks and long fights really do a number on those fish.
Never fished any derbies, and don't intend doing so in the future. Anything that turns angling into a money making opportunity is not my understanding of sport fishing.

By taking the largest fish from the population, derbies essentially ensure that future generations that naturally reproduce will be smaller.  Remove the genetic traits that produce big heavy fish and the ones that do survive have the genetic make up of smaller fish 

There is a reason for the saying put the big ones back  Yes, legally you may keep what you catch.  But invest in the future, put the breeders back.

But that aside, there is a difference between fishing when fish are pre-spawn and spawning versus other times.  It's the difference between hundreds of fish in a few square meters of water, and hundreds of square meters of water with a few fish.  its not the same.   Drag a hook through any section of Lake O in July, unlikely you will snag a fish.  Drag a hook across a stream when they are on the spawn, and the out come will be different

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

chessy

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2021, 11:43:31 am »
I always see the conservation authority doing the work on the fish ways.

I don't know why they count them, runs have been dropping in number since the 80s, so doesn't seem to be for stocking purposes.

And I'm glad a CO Was there,  they need a dozen more not in uniform to catch the people when they think no one's looking.

the numbers are not dropping some years yes .. some years way up.. 

usher

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 09:26:47 am »
Funny how no one complains about all the derbies on the lake, or the charters who keep everything they boat.
   These derbies 4 man per boat only allowed to weigh in 5 fish, yet can keep 20 which is a 4 man limit. Big fish Friday then Saturday and sometimes Sunday.  The amount of fish killed on a weekend due to a derbies is crazy, willing to bet at least 75% don't even get cleaned

Ontario Salmon Derby is different its biggest fish over all. I don't think guys are filling coolers of fish to weigh in the GOSD

IMO GOSD is no different, lot of released fish either die or go back with destroyed mouths. Those treble hooks and long fights really do a number on those fish.
Never fished any derbies, and don't intend doing so in the future. Anything that turns angling into a money making opportunity is not my understanding of sport fishing.

GOOD POINT

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2021, 05:40:09 pm »
(3) MOST of the salmon still in the river right now ... NO CHANCE THEY WILL MAKE IT TO SPAWN BEDS ... ZERO, ZERO, ZERO % CHANCE. So must we river fishermen appease you and just watch these salmon die in futility ... because it makes you feel better?? Give me a break ... take a walk down to the river and speak to some river fishermen, and figure out the facts ...

I've been fishing rivers for the last 30 years and I absolutely disagree with the above. If left alone a lot of salmon will make it to the spawning grounds. Granted this is easier on some streams than others where there are big obstacles like dams. However when they have a way to go up they will and spawn. For example East Branch of Duffin's Creek is practically open to fishing only up to Hwy 7 during spawning season mainly because it's all private property above Hwy 7. If you stand on the highway bridge and look-up north you'll see a ton of salmon in shallow water over gravel spawning, south of the highway will have no fish. Had the north of the highway be on public property those salmon would have all been slaughtered.

Below is a Google Maps Photo taken on Oct 2020 - Looking north from Hwy 7. You can see the ripples from spawning fish

I was at Ganny on Thursday last week. I stand by what I say, based on what I saw ... most of those fish aren't going to make it. About 10% were already on their sides, gasping their last breaths. About 50%, hardly had the strength to fight the current, and basically stuck in holes. 

In any case, that is more of a side point.  My main argument is that if the regulations are followed, there's no issues ... and so it seems this "broad stroke" that's been messaged, painting us ethical fishermen (and there are quite a few) with the same paint brush as the zoo you see in the picture ... that seems very unfair to me.  When I went to Ganny on Thursday, I did not target a SINGLE large salmon, not one. I don't want them, they aren't even that fun to fish ... just like pulling a log out of the water. I am targeting trout and jacks. Period.

I Totally dissagree. the salmon run is more than self supporting as the Ganny has never been stocked

What do you disagree with that I said? I'm confused ... I'm saying we should stop illegal fishing, but not stop river fishing. It sounds like you are saying fishing the river is okay, because it's self sustaining?
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

riggermortis

• Full Box
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2021, 02:18:59 pm »

GOOD POINT

Really? One of you explain to me the difference between you releasing a fish while you're SPORT fishing and me releasing one if I happen to have a derby ticket in my pocket?

Duxx

• Shaker
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:21 pm »
There is no difference between releasing a fish whether is a tournament of fun fishing.   It all come down to how ya treat the fish.  If ya try to torpedo a 15#er and it goes tits up maybe tournament guys may be less likely to try to turn back, or even spend the time putting it on a boca to tow around for a bit(I don't think this is the case ,but maybe that's the reasoning).  As anglers we should all do our part to ensure the fishery is respected by all. If the mnr spent a 100k  to get off duty cops to help lay charges to clear out the fuck heads it would be money well spend and save money on stocking programs.

usher

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2021, 01:32:21 pm »

GOOD POINT

Really? One of you explain to me the difference between you releasing a fish while you're SPORT fishing and me releasing one if I happen to have a derby ticket in my pocket?

I just feel that when prize money is involved, seems like that becomes an exception to the rules. Towing a fish behind the boat with jaw grippers works great! If it does go tits up you can still throw it in the box. At then end of the day how many 20lb salmon do you really need in your freezer? And that's why I feel even good guys do un sportsman like  practices when comes to prize money .

Yet I feel like some of these guys are spouting off about what happens in the river .  Same shit different pile IMO

Yes you are allowed 5 kings as a limit. Do we need to kill 5 every time we go??

gambler

• Full Box
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2021, 01:45:00 pm »

GOOD POINT

I just feel that when prize money is involved, seems like that becomes an exception to the rules. Towing a fish behind the boat with jaw grippers works great! If it does go tits up you can still throw it in the box. At then end of the day how many 20lb salmon do you really need in your freezer? And that's why I feel even good guys do un sportsman like  practices when comes to prize money .

Yet I feel like some of these guys are spouting off about what happens in the river .  Same shit different pile IMO

The fishery is managed (on the NY side anyways) as a put and take fishery.  They are there to control alewife populations and sportfishing.  If we release too many kings, alewife populations will take more of a hit.  The stocking numbers are set knowing about how many fish are taken from the system. 

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2021, 02:19:43 pm »

GOOD POINT

The fishery is managed (on the NY side anyways) as a put and take fishery.  They are there to control alewife populations and sportfishing.  If we release too many kings, alewife populations will take more of a hit.  The stocking numbers are set knowing about how many fish are taken from the system.
Stocking numbers are also set with a 50% natural reproduction model.
Not managed solely as " put & take" on either side.

Bob

4lbstest

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2021, 04:10:09 pm »

GOOD POINT

The difference is i can take my time boatside as long as it takes to revive a fish before releasing it, and if it doesn't revive i just keep it. Try doing that on a charter boat!  Throwing the fish out for towing it behind the boat isn't the same thing as reviving it boatside.