Author Topic: Trolling Motor and Sonar  (Read 1575 times)

REX

• Shaker
Trolling Motor and Sonar
« on: September 13, 2021, 11:09:38 pm »
I have a Motorguide W55 trolling motor and a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 1.  I would like to upgrade to a GPS compatible setup.  I have a Legend Xtreme 18 with Merc 115 Optimax.  I will for sure get 24 V motor.   
Looking for advice as to stay with Lowrance / Motorguide or other....Also best place to purchase...St. Catharines area
Thanks

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

spincast

• 30 Pounder
Re: Trolling Motor and Sonar
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:45:05 am »
At this point in the season, I would say,
1 take some time and do a little research - what are you planning on doing with the set up eventually? To help keep you straight while trolling solo? To keep you on a spot when jigging? To troll a pattern a waypoints from the graph? To support an autopilot system? What kind of info and accuracy do you want from the FF? The more bells and whistles, the more $$$. Its easy to get convinced to buy a whole bunch of capabilities you will never use.
2.. If you know your lowrance well, and how to use all its capabilities, I would say stay with Lowrance - otherwise you will have to learn a new OS and look
3. Invest in the best transducer you can afford.
4. Wait till the spring fishing shows - even if they are only virtual, or only held at a tackle store - January and February are when you will get the best prices and possibly discounts on last years models (although the current chip shortage is probably gonna have an impact on availability for both units this year unless things get turned around there).
5. Consider a 36 volt system. I have a 24 volt motorguide x-5 on a 176 aluminium. It works well on small lakes and smooth wind days on the big lakes (when I need it the least), but on windy days fishing solo the battery life is less than I would like.
Don't buy from a big box - support your neighbour, so they are there to support your passion. More than one decent retailer out  your way.

Clairebear

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:26:21 am »

What spincast said, good advice.

REX

• Shaker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 05:56:13 pm »
I appreciate the advice

I am looking mostly to maintain heading when trolling alone on big lake as well as following tracks on smaller lakes.   I was thinking staying with same makes and using older Lowrance as second sonar/plotter..Also you are singing my song when you talk about supporting local business....

Thanks

spincast

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 06:39:48 pm »
You will be disappointed with a 24 volt system. As I mentioned, it works great on calm days when I don't really need it, but it just can't do an 8 or even 6 hour day in 15 k winds, which are perfectly fine for my boat. I've had at least one unpleasant event with winds and 360 degree turns I don't wish to repeat.

I am  currently researching some of the autopilot options Lowrance offers (https://www.lowrance.com/en-ca/lowrance/type/autopilots/000-11749-001/)  combined with networking the motors. A little pricy, but compared to the possible alternative, still affordable and allows me to ensure safe navigation on the lake regardless of winds or traffic. I already have bow and helm FF and Xi-5 networked so adding the motors is just a matter of cabling. Once this is done it looks like I will have full autopilot capabilities with the option to use the built in Lowrance navigation programs and record / program features on the main / kicker.
Do it once, do it right

greyhawk

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 01:13:43 pm »
Tend to disagree re battery efficiency of a 24 volt system. We have a Minn Kota Terrova  24 volt electric which easily withstands a 6 hr plus session fishing the lower Niagara including windy times. Anchor lock and current drift control tends to be constant. Having said that, it is vital that a good set of batteries are employed group 27 being the lowest consideration..group 31 by far the best but more expensive. No doubt a 36 volt system is better, but as in my case, room for the extra battery is non existent - 18’ Lund. There are a number of excellent brand name trolling motors on the market..check all details as previously mentioned..my experience leans towards Minn Kota teamed with a Humminbird fish finder

REX

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 09:15:01 pm »
Thanks...my Legend also limits me to 2 batteries
  I have gr. 31 12 V batery purchased this summer with little use.  I will add a second one this spring.  I will certainly look at MK and Hummingbird  options

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 07:36:05 am »
I use the 24V XI5 without issue too.  On a 20' deck boat.  Look a DC charger to extend trolling time.

Bob

King Commander67

• Smolt
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 02:32:30 pm »
X2 with greyhawks comments I basically have his setup as well Minn Kota Terrova 24 volts with a Helix, two good batteries .I will get a easy full day of lake trolling .Mistake I made in the beginning was setting the speed to high on my electric using more power than I really needed ,obviously wind and waves do require more power to keep straight and will lower your run time .I also have a quality on board digital charger to keep my batteries in peak performance and charge , my boat is plugged in all the time at home .One thing I will be adding is a bigger skeg on the bottom of the electric motor giving it more steering control when I'm using it for lake trolling to keep my heading easier (youtube it) .But if you do have the room and can afford the extra the 36 volt is really nice.