Author Topic: Blue Zone (off Toronto) - Sept 13, 2021 (afternoon)  (Read 659 times)

Knot Worthy

• 30 Pounder
Blue Zone (off Toronto) - Sept 13, 2021 (afternoon)
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:46:54 pm »
A great afternoon and early evening on the water with a buddy and two of his friends.  The water out of Ashbridges off the Leslie Street Spit was cold (surface temp of 56 degrees) so I chased warmer surface temps and ran out to my favourite water at about 380 FOW where the surface was 67 degrees.  You could feel the air get warmer as we ran deeper.  Although there were four of us, as we trolled out to about 420 FOW and then looped back we only ran about five rods.

With a bit of a disorganized start we put the riggers at 85' and 100' both with spoons, and a ten colour lead core on an inline planer with a spoon.  Saw some small pods of bait but no hooks.  Within about thirty minutes we picked up a rainbow on the long line, and then another one about twenty minutes later.  Taking our cue from the fish (long lines away from the boat at least 50' down) we put in a 300 copper with a 42nd spoon and picked up a couple of fish.  After about 2 hours or so the bites were less frequent and we switched up the spoons and finally put a dipsy in the water (getting us to five lines) with my favourite purple SD and fly combo - that unusually did not produce any hits on this day.  We had raised the riggers at this point to 80' and 70' and we picked up at least one (maybe two?) fish off the riggers.  I wanted to amaze my friends by showing them how a slider worked off the deep rigger rod, but being busy catching fish, and eating the food they brought I never got around to it.

Overall we put two chinook in the boat (one at 15 lbs that was copper/bronze/brown - dont know why he was in 400 FOW near the international border in mid-Sept, but I was thrilled at how spunky he was after about 4 minutes on the boka behind the boat, and the second at about 5 lbs); two shaker chinook; and five rainbows from about 4 lbs to 11 lbs.  My three friends kept four rainbows and the small chinook.

Not likely too many more days or afternoons on the lake this year.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

drjoe

• Full Box
Re: Blue Zone (off Toronto) - Sept 13, 2021 (afternoon)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 08:26:05 am »
Great report ! As Yogi Berra was reported to say " It ain't over until it's over ! " Our problem has ben the weather but it only can get better for us ! St, C Game & Fish fall derby goes to October 03 !

spincast

• 30 Pounder
Re: Blue Zone (off Toronto) - Sept 13, 2021 (afternoon)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:11:56 am »
the recent rains will certainly have moved a lot of stagers into the rivers but there should still be stragglers. In more traditional years, 200+ fow continues to produce immatures  well into October.  Lakers close at the end of the month, but are on the feed right now, and if you find a feeding school can produce a lot of big fish.