Author Topic: So tell me, What is a shaker?  (Read 975 times)

Cadeuses

• Smolt
So tell me, What is a shaker?
« on: September 15, 2021, 08:51:46 am »
Hi folks.  As the question implies, I'm rather new to Lake Ontario salmon fishing and over the past three years I have only gotten out a couple times a season.  What I have learned about salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, I got from everyone who posts their results on this forum, plus the trial and error approach when out on the water myself.

So this term "shaker" puzzles me as I can only guess at the meaning.  Can those of you with the knowledge, enlighten me please.  Thanks

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

simcoeslayer77

• 24 Pounder
Re: So tell me, What is a shaker?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:38 am »
Small fish...for salmon i would say 4lbs and under??? Sometimes you will drag them 4 miles they won't even pop the clip on the downrigger

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:41 am »
A fish so small that it does not trip the downrigger release. The rod does not pop up, just shakes.  If the water is rough it makes shakers hard to detect. That's usually when they get dragged. 

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:01:00 am »
A fish so small that it does not trip the downrigger release. The rod does not pop up, just shakes.  If the water is rough it makes shakers hard to detect. That's usually when they get dragged. 

Duffin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 01:47:35 pm »
We check our lines every half hour or so, just to see if everything looks good or to change up the presentation. Last time out we pulled up one of the riggers and it had a small 3-4lb Chinook on it. Release didn't pop, rod didn't really move. We could of been dragging that poor fish for close to half an hour.

Plus had we seen it earlier, we could of released it, and kept that rod in the fight....

Shakers, the invisible surprise while downrigging...

Ricktroller

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:26 pm »
I started to use the longer Scotty clips. I notice that with these clips if a shaker is hooked, the back and forth sway of it pulling in the water can be more easily seen on rod tip. It causes the rod to bump a little more. Have been able to detect shakers much easier and sooner with the 60 Scotty power grip stacker releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEWWORM

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:44 pm »
Agree on the longer release..you should see the bite....

Fang

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 04:32:20 pm »
I cut the short lines off all my releases and replace the leads with ~18-24" of cheap whipper snipper line and 1/8" crimp sleeves. I fish a lot of lake trout and splake up north and it works really well detecting light bites on smaller fish that get dragged around. On some of these lakes 18" is a decent trout haha