Author Topic: motor killing batteries, but at least we got a nice musky and pike first  (Read 3524 times)

naturenut

• Full Box
Today I was on Lake St Clair trolling for musky we got one big pike around 10lbs and a 42.5inch musky before hearing a beep sound from the motor. Unfortunately it was the battery dying. I had built a musky revival box and a few yrs back had my marine dealer install a washdown pump. I hooked the hose up to the tank to fill it and now wonder if it is somehow the cause of the battery dying. Problem is, I have used the washdown station many times for getting slime off my hands while salmon and musky fishing. I switched the battery from the bow trolling motor battery and put it on the main... the one before was a group 24 now the one on the main ended up being a group 31. After 10 min of trolling I grabbed the minkota hand tester and it showed the battery was at half power... immediately I told my nephew and his friend to grab rods and reel in lines, I was worried the battery would die before we could get to the marina. After flying in, I got curious and checked the battery level again just after coming off plane, and it now read 3/4 charge..... so it improved, but I still don't know what has caused the battery level to drop. Is my alternator toasted, did the washdown pump somehow screw things up?  Anyone else have issues with batteries dying when trolling?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Clairebear

• 24 Pounder
Re: motor killing batteries, but at least we got a nice musky and pike first
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 07:55:10 am »
A dc volt meter attached to the battery with motor running at a high idle will tell you if the alternator is charging. Take a reading before starting to compare.

SHORTnFAT

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 03:22:10 pm »
You heard a beep from which motor?
You were trolling with the main motor?
Do you have separate batteries for the main motor and Mine Kota?
Minn Kota hand held tester? Is this something that gets connected to the Mine Kota battery ( batteries?) and will show charge amount?

naturenut

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 03:38:44 am »
You heard a beep from which motor?
You were trolling with the main motor?
Do you have separate batteries for the main motor and Mine Kota?
Minn Kota hand held tester? Is this something that gets connected to the Mine Kota battery ( batteries?) and will show charge amount?
Main motor beeped. I use it to propel and the bow to steer. Bow is xi5, it has deep cycles I use. The main uses a different battery. The min kota tester is a small hand held tester that you attach to each post on the battery and it lights up showing how much of a charge you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reel It Up

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 09:31:48 am »
Battery sounds toast.

SHORTnFAT

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 09:01:38 pm »
If your alternater is not charging, the motor would eventually die while trolling. You need to put a voltmeter on battery while idling/running. Should be 14v when running. 12.6V not running.

naturenut

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 11:13:44 pm »
Battery sounds toast.

yes. The first one that was on there is completely gone. I am probably gonna go to an AGM next. But gotta figure out why the motor drained it first. I am back to work now so gotta find the time to look into this. My Niagara River/Bar trips will now be delayed until this issue is taken care of  :'(

Clairebear

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 08:02:08 am »
Maybe the motor didn't drain it. It's possible the battery developed a short or bad cell.

naturenut

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 07:14:48 am »
Maybe the motor didn't drain it. It's possible the battery developed a short or bad cell.
What about the second battery? It was full and within a short period of time it was at half.

Clairebear

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 09:42:16 am »
I would bring them both to a Nappa or Auto parts store and have them tested. It's usually free

naturenut

• Full Box
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 10:34:09 pm »
I would bring them both to a Nappa or Auto parts store and have them tested. It's usually free
Thanks

usher

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 04:07:18 pm »
Nice catch though!

naturenut

• Full Box
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 02:50:25 am »
My alternator was kiboshed. Replaced it. Now looking into a pro kicker.

Clairebear

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 10:01:30 am »
You will enjoy the P Kicker. Mine is so quiet I have to look and see if the water is pumping out of it.

prolinerob

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 12:52:24 am »
Love the clear live well!  Is your boat insured for December?   I’m only covered for fire and theft between  Nov 30-Mar 31, thought I’d mention it, I use to fish Musky in December too and January for Lake trout in Queenston until I found out.