Author Topic: new mast how to?  (Read 2033 times)

Dax

new mast how to?
« on: March 08, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »
I just purchased a Big Jon mast and will be using it for the first time this spring. I have a rough idea of the basic set-up with it but thought i'd start a thread here on the basics? Maybe someone would be kind enough to go through it for a newbie?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

TOTW

new mast how to?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
Are we talking basic install or fishing with boards?  This will be a good thread.

Dax

new mast how to?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »
Ahh, yes I should have made that clear! I don't need help installing it.

I understand the basics of board fishing, I could go out and do it myself, but i'm sure there are many aspects of it I'm ignorant of..

rileysalmon

new mast how to?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »
if you haven t purchased any boards as of yet .in my opinion the riviera triples are real nice boards to pull..........planer boards are for the most part fairly simple to employ its just a matter of trial and error ........good rings(for your clips) and good clips are essential in making things run alot smoother............plac ement of your rods/ holders are a good consideration as well..too far to the back and they tend to be a nuisance at times..to far forward and they can get hard to get at..........hih.....chri s

outkast

new mast how to?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »
Keep your shallow running baits closer to the board, deeper towards the boat. Make sure you mount the mast as far forward as you can.

chadk

new mast how to?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »
Get a Stainless backer plate.  West marine sells plates.  Find someone with a drill press.  Make holes in the plate, slightly larger than the base's holes to give some wiggle room during installation.  You will want to install in a garage with some heat if you are wanting to go hit some browns this spring, because the marine caulk you will need to seal the base to the topside needs warmer temps to set.  Once you have your holes drilled to match the base...you will need the correct size STAINLESS bolts, washers and locknuts.  Apply marine caulk to the underside  of the base.  If your base has a water trough in the middle, make sure you don't fill that area in caulk....only where the holes are.  The trough is designed for water to flow under the base.  Place the base with sealant over the mounting location on the topside.  Place sealant in the holes, and put bolts thru.  Apply sealant to backer plate and bolt into place ( easier with two people).  Don't tighten fully.  Wait until the sealant is set.....it may take 5-7 days in this weather.  Tighten down fully after set.