Author Topic: Planer board question  (Read 6047 times)

chadk

Planer board question
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
I am looking for some input on planer boards.   I currently use otter boats, but am disappointed with the blow back when pulling size #1 dipsys or deep sixes.  Is there a better board out there that can carry a heavier load?  Would running wire on the Planer spool help?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

HotRods Jr.

Planer board question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »
i find that the otter boats work great, with leadcore that is. you could try the riviera Triples.

chadk

Planer board question
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »
I like the way my otter boats perform ie. in waves, distance from boat etc.. and they do carry mini dipsys and other weighted presentations....I was wondering if anyone has experience with pulling the larger sized divers successfully with other products.

CraigMacPhee

Planer board question
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
We run regular dipseys, pound balls, 450 foot copper rods, umbrella rigs, etc....off the Riviera Triples and have had great succes with it.  As with anything else, there is a time and a place for it.  I would not run regular dipseys in 6 footers on anything and expect them to hold on the releases.

skamper35

Planer board question
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
Otter Boats, work just fine for me with big dipseys on lead core...No problems...Never tried them in heavy seas, where I think nothing would work...Anyways, you do your own experiments with other boards, then choose the ones that suits your purpose...Bernie

chadk

Planer board question
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »
Craig, how is the blow back with the Riviera's with a size #1 dipsy?  Have you tried Otter boats?  If you have, how do the two compare?

CraigMacPhee

Planer board question
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:22:00 am »
I'm not exactly sure how to explain the "blow back" experienced with the Riviera triple planers.  The best I can tell you is that they track where I want them to track (and I assume where you would want them too..)  I have never used the otter boards with a dipsey so I do not have any actual knowledge of how they compare to one another as far as tracking.  I can tell you that the triples are collapsable and the otter board is not.  If useability and storage space are an issue you can get the best of both world's with the triple.  Hope this helps.

chadk

Planer board question
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »
Where does one get these Riviera Triples?  The companies web site is under construction,  can't find them on-line anywhere.  Cabela's offers double boards only.

chadk

Planer board question
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »
Thanks BigD for the PM.

CraigMacPhee

Planer board question
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:53:00 am »
Not sure where he told you to get them but I know Angling Outfitters, Jb's fishing depot, and Tightlines's have them.  Lambath rod and tackle will also have them next week.

Also, you can contact Riviera directly at (989)738-5700 and ask for Larry.  He's my tournament partner and if you tell him what your intentions are, and, where you heard about this, he will make sure you have the right set up.  
Craig

gambler

Planer board question
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 11:56:00 am »
Chadk,

Try using 250 lb. Power Pro as your tow line.  There is no stretch nand those releases will fly down the line.  I noticed a big difference in the way my Otter boats performed with the power pro.

Willys Buoy

Planer board question
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »
I run  Riviera tripple boards .I have had them now for 2 plus years with great luck . They work in big wave aswell /with multiple lead core/multiple hot lips/ multiple jet divers etc / and never had any probles . I did run Riviera doubles and they work good in smooth water with one heavy line . Any waves then I had to pack them up . Riviera tripple boards are the way to go . Craig MacPhee turn me on to the tripples and I cant thank him enough.  ps. sold my doubles one week after I got the tripples . and never looked back

Phil

TOTW

Planer board question
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »
I have had the opportunity to fish with many boards over the years.  The Lake Erie Walleye fisherman have a huge advantage when it comes to Board fishing over us salmon guys.  Pretty much mandatory for them most of the time, although "they" have learned to "Unleash the Raw Power of the Dipsey" as my cousin used to say  ;D

Stability is a key factor when running big boards.   I have been a big board fan for a very long time and used Willie Super Skis, Princecraft SuperSkis, Princecraft  SuperSki Twins and Triples.  Also CrossCuts, HomeMade Cedars, and Cannon doubles.  

This year I got to run BigJon Otter Boats.  Niiiiiccce!  is an understatement.

The wrong wave can cause ALOT of havoc with your setup.  One time I remember having just set the last line out of 8 the first morning of a Walleye Tournament out of Lake Erie.  Hit a bad wave and the board flipped over, cutting across the back and all the way to around to the other side and taking every line with it.  What a mess!!!!!!!!!!  I attributed this to the lightness of this particular "collapsible model"

I have also had experience with Triples and doubles of a particular brand hit a "wrong' wave and dive...  only to come up on the opposite side of the boat... big mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two characteristics of the Otter Boats I really like.  

1-   You cant flip them in any sea
2-   They run forward and back forward and back depending on turns and trolling speed.  Imparting a KILLER action to the baits behind.  I have yet to see a big board do this, to the same consistency as an Otter Boat.

So the point I am making is tight pull between mast and board isn't everything.  Keep the baits moving is well worth thinking about.
All boards are good...but I like Boats

#1 divers...Yes
400 ft of .037 Copper  Yes
multiple Cores  Yes

chadk

Planer board question
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 06:52:00 am »
Has anyone tried running them on wire?  I was wondering with less stretch in the line if I could get my otter boats closer to 90 degrees to the boat when pulling big dipsys.  Might have to try the power pro as Gambler suggested.

Willys Buoy

Planer board question
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »
Just normal planner board line works good enought . I have ran tripple board on 4 to 5 ft wave and they never fails yet.  I could never do this with doubled  or any other board . Only the tripples  work the best . REMEMBER YOU MUST HAVE YOUR MAST AS TALL  AS POSIBLE . I ADDED 3 FT  TO MY  MAST AND FOUND THE BOARDS CUT BETTER IN ANY WATER . THE PLUS OF ADDING 2 /3 FT THEY  PLANNER BOARD LINE CLEAR THE RODS .  ( BIG PLUS)

Phil