Author Topic: Planer board / Otter boat mast install  (Read 12517 times)

reeper

Planer board / Otter boat mast install
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »
So i'm seriously considering installing an electric planer board mast on the pulpit of  my 21" seaswirl,... the pulpit is solid fiberglass,.. so I figure with just a simple backing plate, it should hold the base for the mast securly,.... however I have a few other challenges I need to work through,..

#1- would the mast be strong enough to drag Riviera triples or big jon otter boats, ... I plan to pull 450' copper / 10 colors of core and atleast a 3" dipsey off the boards/boats, ( 2 per side )....do I need additional support between the base and the mast ?

#2- The mast would need to be somewhat easy to remove, as I store my boat at a marina on dry land,.. something like that might be a little too tempting to some,.. so there's the electrical water-proof connections to consider and towline rigging that will be rigged and controlled from the cockpit will need to be disconnected when not in use

I appreciate all and any feedback.... thanks  !

- reeper

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

rayman96

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:59:00 am »
I don't know if you would consider automatic retrieval masts.  They don't require power and are easily removed.  You can check out their website below.  Good luck with your search.  

http://www.rivieratrolling.com/planner_board_masts.html

chadk

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »
Consider how you want to run your spreads.  Maybe two uni-masts...one on each side, mounted mid-ship so you can access the reels easier.  Do you want to be crawling up front to reel in the boards when the waves are happening?  Hopefully, if you go electric you can have controls located at the console so you don't have to be "crawling" up front with a pulpit mount.  A pulpit mount does not improve the boat's appearance in my opinion.  Lots of questions and plenty of time to figure it out.  Look at the "Boat picture" section on this board and you may gain some ideas.

rayman96

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:07:00 am »
Riviera makes AUTOMATIC RETRIEVAL MASTS.  No power required and you don't have to crawl up front.  Check their site.

jfneron

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »
Thos Riviera Kachman automatic reels are really the Cadillac of the planer boards systems. That's what I have on my boat, and I don't have to have access to the front of the boat at all to use them, since they take the line back automaticaly when I turn in the plaber direction. I then just have to pick the boards and put them in the boat:

[image]

J-F

hotreels

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »
We run a Big Jon electric off the bow on the Hot Reels, I have the switches for each motor mounted just behind my hard top, easy to get at and completely effortless.

The only problem I see with the Riviera system is how do you rip your board in in a hurry if someone is going to cross it, cut it off, or is just getting to close?? I understand you turn into it, but what if there's a boat that's pinching you on both sides????

In regards to mounting it mine has a Big Jon backer plate underneath, plenty of support and very strong. I pull Ynot Franks red wood boards and they pull harder  then anybodies.

For removing the mast mine has plugs in the wires and the on bases use the Big Jon cap screws.

Go electric.
Dave

TOTW

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »
Ya   Everything Dave Said  LOL

I too have a dual Electric BigJon with switches at the helm.  There have been a few times I have had to bring both boards in SUPER PRONTO...Hey  Im a bad driver what can I say, thats why I avoid the pack of boats as much as I can.  

Any planer reel without a handle???.....I know alot of guys like the Rivieras but its pretty hard to beat having a planer system that runs like an electric downrigger Total control

TOTW

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »
Nice to see Davey pushing BigJon too!!    I knew he would come around eventually....LOL

reeper

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
Thanks for the info guys  !... this site never disappoints,.. let me ask you guys this then,.. do you run the big boards throughout the summer or do ya switch over to Church boards ?...

- Mike

reeper

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »
Did some googling and found this info about Ynot planer boards,.. not sure how these boards compare to riviera's but this guy talks the talk,....copied this from K2A  Amish Outfitters cataloge,...thought i'd share ......

In chartering, you try to have all your equipment working perfectly to help make your client' s day an enjoyable one. One of our main "tools" is our planer boards. For walleye fishing, board fishing is half our arsenal along with dipsey divers.

If the boards don' t pull right, it' s hard to get the proper spread behind the boat. The boards must pull hard as well as ride up fairly even with the boat. If they don' t pull hard, the tow line will drag in the water, you can' t get the releases to slide down easily, and it is difficult to make tight turns. With a soft pulling board, you commit the mortal sin when turning; having both boards on the same side of the boat. If the boards lag back behind the boat, you can' t get a good wide spread of lures. You end up covering a 100' swath instead of a 300' swath. The whole purpose of fishing boards is to cover a wide area of water.

After trying all the plastic boards, doubles as well as triples, I found that they were all lacking in pulling power. Wooden boards seemed to be the answer, but what type of wood? After a lot of experimentation, redwood worked the best.

With our boards, we found that they are the most effective if you don' t paint, varnish, or polyurethane them. It sounds wrong, but the more water these boards soak up, the harder they pull. By the end of the day I call them my stealth boards because they ride so low in the water. They will eventually get really ugly, weathering out and cracking, but keep running them. I have actually had to retire a set I have used for six years because they pull too hard.

I recommend that you use 200# test planer board line.

These boards collapse for easy storage, but be careful not to step on them, they will break.

Hard, harder, and hardest pulling boards

You wanted harder pulling boards, now you have got them.

The redwood boards pull hard, now try the new cypress planer boards. They are the same size as the redwoods, but more dense. More dense translates out to heavier. They run deeper in the water so they pull harder. Better beef up your mast system including your planer board line. I had some pros try the cypress boards and they were blown away by the pull. So I went to the next level.

While I was picking up a shipment of cypress, I had the owner of the mill suggest that I try some plastic. I asked if it floated. We cut off a piece and threw it in the sink and it floated, barely. He gave me some of the boards to try. I cut them up and made a set and gave them to a buddy to run the next day.

The boards run with about 1" of board above the water and will pull a smaller boat to one side with only one out. Putting both boards out will definitely slow a boat down. The boat must be in neutral to retrieve the boards. 200# test planer board line won't hold them in a chop. They didn't dive or jump. They just pulled, even on turns. I am putting a pinwheel in with them so they can be seen. Just stick it in the hole on the back of the outside board.

So now I have three styles of planer boards, hard, harder, and hardest.

Prices are as follows:

The redwoods (32")  will still be made and will be $159.95 plus $18.95 shipping.
The cypress will be a little cheaper at $139.95 plus $19.95 shipping.
The plastic will be a little more because the price of the material is horrific - $169.95 plus $19.95 shipping.

You can buy these in the catalog section.

For more information on any of our accessories, contact us at [email protected] or call 1-800-473-1748.

Catalog | Product

- Mike

rayman96

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 05:48:00 am »
I have switched out the big boards for the in-lines.  I did so because it is my preferred style of trolling.  In my local waters I fish less than 80' of water and many times I am alone.

Don't get me wrong, the big boards are terrific.  Just not for me at this time.  And Amishoutfitters has excellent products.

Good luck with your choice.

getitwet

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »
We have run pretty much all boards on the market, made our own and found that Frank's boards are the best bar none.  These boards pull the hardest and also track the best.  When it comes to mast install.  What ever you do put the reels at the back somewhere if they are manuals and if Electric put the switches where they can be accessed easily.

The riviera boards to me complicate things a lot.  When you turn and the mast picks up line, What does your line do?  it probably clumps itself  together.  Do you have to reel it up and when you straighten out you let line out to set them back up.

If you use Frank's boards it always has pressure so there is no pickup needed.

This is worse as you troll slower as well, everything get multiplied.

My 2 cents worth

tonyb

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
Some great info here, I wasn't aware of these boards at all.  They sound like THE boards to have...

chadk

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »
Frank's boards scare me!!!!  I think I would run them only when no other boats are around.

reeper

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »
Why is that Chadk ?.. please explain ,.. we're all curious,..

- reeper