Author Topic: Planer board / Otter boat mast install  (Read 15919 times)

chadk

Planer board / Otter boat mast install
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »
They pull so hard supposedly that you must be in neutral to retrieve the board.  What if you must get the board in quick to avoid another boat?  What about the abuse your boat will take to support the mast.....heavy duty stainless backing a must!  Sounds like a great set up for running mulitple lines with dipsys or other weighted presentations with low boat traffic.  Ideal for walleye on Erie or in the blue-zone for Steelhead esp. with a larger sized charter boat running 8-10 lines.   Just not for me.   I typically run a six rod spread, so my Otter boats work fine in my hands.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Valinote

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »
I have a set of Frank's Amish Outfitter plastic (hardest pulling) planer boards, and all I can say is that they pull so hard that we have to stop the boat to get them back in. They are quite heavy and run low in the water. You can run multiple coppers or leadcores with absolutely no noticeable change in position. I'm using using 200# test mono and Frank's super snubbers to relieve some of the shock to my radar arch, but both my Cannon plastic planer reels actually cracked from the stress. Probably have to a go to a metal reel (Big Jon?) or put less backing on so the mono doesn't get out so far near the edge of the reels where it starts to spread out under tension. Anyway, I've had lots of boards including the Otter Boats and various Super Skis, but *nothing* pulls like these babies! Just my experience.

-Steve D

reeper

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »
Thanks for your input Steve,.. they really pull that hard eh,.. in your opinion would the big jon electric planer rigger be able to pull them in on the fly ?...i'm thinking what if another boat was approaching and I need to pull one side rather quickly,.. I couldn't stop the boat, especially if i have another 2 -4 long lines out,.. maybe Franks "redwood" boards are the ticket,.. they don't pull as much

- Mike

getitwet

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 12:18:00 am »
the mono is what broke your reels.  They can't take the pressure of the mono expanding.  Think of a rubber band around your finger.  Cannon's reels are made out of lexan which is a product that weakens in the sun.  Add the pressure plus the product weakening and you will have problems.

Frank's boards are very good but your stuff should be solid to run it.

TOTW

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 12:31:00 am »
Frank runs BigJon Electrics to pull his boards in so I can see a problem.  I am sure he will chime in here eventually.

yknotfrank

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 12:52:00 am »
I run Big Jon electrics and haven't had a problem with the reels.

I use 500# spectra line for my planer board line. The original line I loaded 6 years ago is still working well. I trim 3' off twice a year. I don't back it with anything. There is 300' on each reel.

Yes I do sell that also.

I am currently running the same redwood boards as I have been for the last 7 years. They  are about the ugliest things you will see, but they still pull.

I have two single Big Jon masts on my hardtop. I will not run my plastics with them unless I guy them together. But I don't run leadcores or dipseys off the boards, so I don't need the extra pull. I can and have run 5 40 jets off each redwood board with no problems.

With any of my boards, make sure your mast system is up to the task. A pro walleye fisherman used a set of my cypress boards and tore the mast off his bow narrowly missing his windshield. He had the mast mounted on his bow rail with a piece of 1x6 oak and two U bolts.  His mast was 8' high. Bad physics.

I have found that the Big Jon is the strongest mast system on    the market. It is pricey, but you only have to pay for it once. Buy a cheapie, and you will be buying another.

Frank

TOTW

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 01:37:00 am »
I am on my second year with the 500 lb spectra from Amish Outfitters.  In the winter I use it to drag deer and moose  out of the bush.  I love it

getitwet

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 09:19:00 am »
I do as well,

The mono use for this application might sound like a good idea but is definetaly hard on equipment. In the south they tried to use it fishing for kingfish and it failed after the same thing happening with the spools.

Fishmaster Ultimate Charters

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
I use Franks boards on both Lake Erie and Lake Ont ..they are the best boards out there ...i run up to 3 big Dipsys off one side and 4 small dipsy off the other ...now thats what you call a planner board ..

chadk

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 11:38:00 am »
Who has the specs for making Otter boats pull harder....for running heavy large dipsys or copper?  The Big Jon rep. said to drop the planer line attachment holes down, and change the keel angle.  Does anyone have the exact measurement changes?  Nice time to chime in Yankee Troller.  ;)

Valinote

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »
Great thread, guys! Are the Big Jon planer reels made of metal or plastic? I know the 200# mono is tough on the reels; but it works so-ooo nice. Absorbs most of the jerking of the boards in rough water, and the releases slide right down the line, especially if you give the spool a shot of silicon every once in a while. As far as getting the Otter Boards to pull harder, you have to move the knot in the tether line a little to the front of the board. The trade off is the boards will run further back. Here's a link to some tips about running the Otter's and some modifications you can make to help them track/pull better. If this linkdoesn't work, just paste the address in you browser. Kindest regards!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136454

Yankee Troller

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 11:09:00 am »
I wish I had the otter boats in my basement. All I did was copy the lengths from the guys in Oswego and they run flawless now ith 500-600' of copper off them. I waana say its 9.5 inches in the front and 11.5 in the back. Unlike what Big John tells you in the instructions. I thought they instructed you to keep 5 inches between the two numbers. I ran these all year and never had to make any other mods to make them run that good. My reels are mountes half way up the boat and these baords with copper will run off the stern corner of the boat.

chadk

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »
I just checked my string lengths, which were done according to the instructions provided and they measure 8.5" x 14.5".  I will try your figures, thanks Yankee Troller.

Yankee Troller

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »
let me check the lengths come April. I dont want you to do something.....have it not work........and then think im an arse hole...lol.

The best part about these boats is rough water! They wont dive at all! its fun to watch them swin too. They will go right through a wave tracking straight and pop out the other side.

hookedup

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 04:15:00 pm »
Hi Yankee Troller,  Let me know also when you get that Info for the Otter Boats I want to put some new string on my boards this spring.   Also for anyone who is running Franks Plastic Hardest pulling planer boards will they pull up to 4 copper rigs per side with no problem?  Not short copper but 200' to 600' riggs.    Thanks Sean