Author Topic: HOW TO GET MORE PULL ON YOUR HOMEMADE BOARDS IDEA  (Read 9679 times)

gethookedfishn

HOW TO GET MORE PULL ON YOUR HOMEMADE BOARDS IDEA
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »
The most popular plans for making up your own Dual Planer Boards posted on most Websites and shown in Fishing Magazines as linked below are the same plans and instructions.

www.quintefishing.com/make_your_own_dual_planer_boards.htm

www.straitlineanglers.com/Articles/Make-Your-Own_Dual_Planer_Boards.htm

I made up the same pair but the problem I have especially trolling for Walleye at slower speeds  is that I find that they tend to drag about 45 Deg off of the corner of the boat rather than off the side of the boat.  I also found plans for 1 x 8 dual planer boards.  Great if your boat has lots of room.

IDEA!

Make up a removable 2-3 Bolt (to hold in place) Sailboat Keel shaped (same length as board) with  1/4 inch or less Aluminium plate either angled on nose same as boards or ground to a point on from both sides.  You could space 2 or 3 Bolts (siliconed) around 2 Inches from bottom using Wing Nuts.  You would have to experiment to see what works better in attaching (the Inside or Outer Board).  I will be making this up myself this Spring.

Has any fellow fisherman made up anything similar or can you add other ideas to get more pull.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

getitwet

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »
for a few bucks and a lot less hassle you can go to Amish outfitters and buy Franks boards which you don't have to do anything to make them pull.

Yvan

moreorles2000

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »
i dont know why nobody has put an adjustable rudder on the back end of one  of the dual boards. that way you can adjust the boards to track the way you want them to in all water & wind conditions.
les.

Tim Bromund

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

for a few bucks and a lot less hassle you can go to Amish outfitters and buy Franks boards which you don't have to do anything to make them pull.

Yvan

Yeah, what Yvan said.  Those boards pull like crazy no matter what.

Tim

Trannyman

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »
For those guys that want to make their own boards In-Fisherman Magazine had a great set of plans back in the late 70s. They used lead inserts to get the board down in the water.
When I built mine, and they are still in use today, I weighted them so there was only a half inch above the water. The more board in the water the better the pull. These boards work well in 6 foot waves.

Cheers
   Al

skamper35

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »
I own a set of homemade boards and they are the same patern as Trannyman, built by Doug Cheer and also filled with lead and sink to about an inch to an inch and a half showing above the water...Work just great...Doug is building me a set of new ones because the nose on mine are all worn out from banging around...Bernie

captainhook

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »
I tried making my own from plans off the internet, with no success.  I also used several different store-bought boards, and didnt like them either.  Last summer I bought  Franks new white boards (Y-Knots).  This new board is white plastic, and like Als, runs about an inch above water.  Theyre his hardest pulling board, and he reccommends 500-lbs tow line.  However, these boards pull so hard, you should put your time, money, and effort into making your own mast, as the store bought ones are not strong enough.
Merry Christmas!

PaulR

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
gethookedfishn

Did you use redwood?
I made the set from the plans from the straitline anglers link from cedar.
Redwood soaks in water and floats lower.
My cedar boards still work OK.They pull about the same as my store bought triple board but I am not usually out in 6 foot waves.
Also I found they work better with a higher mast.

Paul

getitwet

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:57:00 am »
Guys,

I run franks boards and believe me as I run many days in various conditions at very low speeds which sometimes is less than 1mph.  These boards are by far the best boards on the market.  I run an 8ft mast from the bow which is a whole other topic but for now these boards you have to try to believe.

Ask yourself if you have ever gone with the wind @ 1.1 - 1.2 mph in a 2.5 ft chop?  Most boards will pass you and eventually flip over creating a mess!

Franks boards have flipped over on us 3 or 4 times in 8 years but the design along with the snubbers allow you to pull hard on them and the will right themselves.  

This is the only board on the market to buy!

Yvan

Gman

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:07:00 am »
I've seen and used these boards and the simply ROCK!

They pull like no other, money well spent.

Cheers G.

Ziekertail

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »
Franks boards are by far the best out there! plus the colaspe for easy storage

Cstar

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:25:00 pm »
you need to adjust the angle of the front angle cut a bit more, and add weight to the outside ski on the back corner (think how a you turn when you ski), I have my boards stored right now (so I may be confused, as we built them 5 years ago), but they pull to the sides good as any others I have seen, we made ours to pull out way to the sides, it took a couple sets to get them just right but now we have them pulling just right, that beeing said I only really use them when on erie now..

digit

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »
Yvan is right Franks boards are the best.I charter on Erie for eyes and often run as many as 4 cores per side and these boards don't sag in the water.Best board I've ever used.Only problem is with his snubbers broke 2 of them last season.

Hoover

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 04:58:00 pm »
dont be cheap buy franks boards!  3 of us in port bruce all run them!  we had 6 cores off each board.  Be sure to buy the 600# test line and add supports to your mast!  they will rip the mast off the boat!  Also be careful in waves or turns if the line gets caught on a reel these boards pull so hard it will pull your poles into the drink!  i lost 3 last year that way!

outkast

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »
Anyone know if the composite Riviera masts will handle Frank's boards?