Author Topic: Planer Board Masts  (Read 3808 times)

weedman

Planer Board Masts
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »
Hi all,

Well, I guess it's time to start thinking about the spring fishing season.  It's been a long, cold winter.  I'd like to find a nice planer board mast set wtih two reels that can just drop down into my bow casting seat holder.  Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes one like that?

And, who can recommend a nice set of boards that can handle Lake O, Erie and Quinte waters?

Cheers,
Paul

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

riggermortis

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »
I believe if you check the Big John website they have an adapter plate for the bottom of there's that fits in the seat base.

steve

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:41:00 pm »
i think you'll find a planerboard mast is not a great idea for quinte....

the walleye stack up in tight schools, and running inlines can be difficult to stay on top of them....running a mast would be almost impossible....

if you watch the shows on quinte, or even board fishing for walleye in general, you'll find virtually no-one uses masts....as you cannot turn and stay on a school very effectively...

now for erie, where walleye line the lake from end to end, they'll use them there.....cause its impossible not to catch them on erie.

lefty

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:00 pm »
Steve,

Question for you, what rod/inline planer board setup do you run, be it Lake Ontario in early spring or Quinte late fall?  

I run the Walleye Board Planer with a Shimano TDR 7' medium rod.  But I find sometimes in rough conditions or with heavy pulling tackle I can't track the planers out off the sides all that far.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to get the planers to pull further out?

Thanks,

Lefty

steve

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:00 pm »
i run the offshore inline board.....

the rods i use are 9' heavy action shimano clarus's (graphite instead of fiberglass, so a heavy action would be similar to a medium or medium heavy TDR).

i honestly dont worry too much about how far back they plane, as with heavy five colour of core or 3 colour of core a diver, they do fall back....

when running 3 boards per side, as long as all the boards are the same brand, they'll fall back the same....

they do not run "to the side" as much as on a 45 degree angle back off the corner of the transom.

dont get too hung up on how far they drop back....i dont find it much problem....

the only reason i run offshore inlines is due to the fact they work better than others under extreme cold conditions.....other than that, they all work nicely....

lefty

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »
Thanks Steve, that clears up my concerns around the planer boards dropping back, and I may try moving up a rod selection too.

steve

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:30:00 pm »
i only moved up a rod selection as i was doing enough walleye trolling at quinte to justify it...

i got tired of catching 10lbs pound walleye, lifetime trophies for most, on watered down tdr's....

so i tested a number of rods from shimano, and the clarus heavy action 9' worked perfectly....

I find they are perfect for handling light biting walleye....however, they are tough enough to run the number 1 dipsys for salmon.....and handle them perfectly....

so if costs will allow you the purchase, they make a helluva great lakes salmon/trout rod...but for best application, walleye are best.

lefty

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »
Those are exactly the two fishing appplications I'm looking a rod to satisfy, more so from the walleye side of things.  I'll look into Clarus and maybe try out a pair of the Off Shores and see how compare to the Walleye Baords; do you typically run the 31's or 12's?

steve

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:49:00 pm »
OR-12's.

Ziekertail

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 08:31:00 am »
lefty i can tell you from experience with both brands of in lines the church run much better then the off shores , just slide the weight forward on the walleye board ,under the same load the pull much better then the off shores

lefty

Planer Board Masts
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 11:18:00 am »
Z, that?s what I like the walleye boards and why I initially bought them cuz of the sliding weight.  Move the weight all the way forward when pulling your deep divers and you get great pull.