Author Topic: Planer Board dipsey equivalent?  (Read 4384 times)

pabloyikes

Planer Board dipsey equivalent?
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:38:00 pm »

Looking to get out while the browns and bows are still in close.  I've only fished deep water from my boat, so need help with fishing the shallows.  Can you just run in-line weights, to get down 12-20 ft., or does the boat noise spook the fish?

Is there something like a dipsey that runs out like a planer without diving?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
P

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Spoonmaster D

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:23:00 am »
You could try some of the small deeper divers, size 45 or 65.
http://www.fishing-lures.ca/index.php?page=walker_deeper_diver

Or get a couple of in-line boards, I use Church walleye boards.
http://www.churchtackle.com/walleye.html#Mr_Walleye_Board

Ziekertail

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:27:00 am »
inline boards and deep diving crankbaits will do the trick try some little rippers the browns love them

pabloyikes

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18:00 am »
Thanks for the replies, all.

Hoping to get on the water soon  :)

vanselena

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:13:00 am »
I was at the Grand Rapids Fishing Show and people were trading in their Church Inline boards for Offshore Inline Boards. I have never used Church inline boards but was curious why people were giving them up?

Anyone have insight to this?

patkirby

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:18:00 am »
Both boards work well,, personally,  you won;t be able to get my Church boards away from me,,  much easier to set up,,

We have both Church's and Offshore on the boat,, I don;t remember the last time the Offshore got wetl

Back to the orginal     Use in line board and a diving bait,    Reefrunners, Tail dancers, J 11's..  We will be giving the new  Koppers Live Target  Smelt a go this spring...  

You could use a diver, LJ or DD,or Slide DIver, but you will want to set it so that it runs to the side and not deep,,, due to the fact,, as you mentioned , it is believed that in skinny water the fish move out of the way of the boat,,

But you can';t overlook the fact, that the skinny water along beaches warm faster,, very skinny water,,so I would be useing a board,  you will be able to troll off the beach areas and run your bait into that skinny water or along a rip rap wall,,,

Good Luck

Ziekertail

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:30:00 am »

I was at the Grand Rapids Fishing Show and people were trading in their Church Inline boards for Offshore Inline Boards. I have never used Church inline boards but was curious why people were giving them up?

Anyone have insight to this?

if they were trading them in offshore was probbaly doing a special to try and get people to switch over ,

Ziekertail

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:31:00 am »
just have a look on the water or during a tourney and see which board most guys are using ,

SkeinMachine

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »
Churches pull harder(plane further from the boat) and can handle more weight/drag than the Offshores.

JesseJames1

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »
I have used both for years and two years ago made my final purchuse after weighing the pros and cons of both make the churchs far out fish the off shores. hands down!!!

steve

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:00 am »
unless you fish in cold temps.

then you can throw your church boards away. the back pin you pull up to put the line in freezes shut, not allowing you to get your line out of the board.

pads on offshores dont freeze.

but then again, 90% of folks on this board that doesn't apply to.

Ziekertail

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »
yes Steve I agree with you in the sub zero temps they freeze, but like you said I can only think of a few guys that are crazy enough(in a good way ) to brave the lakes during the winter

steve

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:17:00 pm »
i found out the hard way that they freeze.

we reeled in a 13lbs walleye with the line still attached to the board.

one angler held the board while the other reeled, and i fed the line through the board.

Ziekertail

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
that must have been fun !

johnb

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 03:42:00 pm »
Steve, I dont know why some of these tackle manufacturers dont hire you as a cold water testing agent. Probably not as much money in it as insurance.LOL.