Author Topic: Buying a Planer Mast  (Read 12974 times)

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 12:26:00 pm »
Actually CF...not sure.about how many Cannon planer board mast units were sold in the 1980's??? I was the largest volume retailer of Cannon riggers in the world late 80's(cancelled my final order of 1000 mini mags on one P.O.)...and don't recall selling that many of their masts...but remember selling lots and lots of Big Jon masts.
pretty hard for me to say anything bad about any of them because they were obviously all great value at the time...or I wouldn't have been selling them ...lol

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

FINtastic

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 07:04:00 pm »
I have been fishing with a well used Walker mast on John's boat in recent years with no problems at all, and would have to say we run boards alot for kings all season. Lots of use. Sure wish we could see them come back on the market Randy. They are hard to beat and if you can get your hands on one- snap it up.

Used the Big Jon Mast for a number of years. Only had one problem where it popped the compression sleeve that holds the pully on the top of the mast. Funny thing was it was flat on the lake and trolling slow for walleyes, must have been an odd ball lemon part.

I have also used the old Willie mast with the (springs on the pullies) and they work well enough.

My vote was "Other", Other meaning a used Walker mast, but if you need to buy new, Big Jon.

Shane

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 08:09:00 pm »

Hey...like to have a video camera running and talk about 10 guys start out in the dark running those 1000 ft of planer cord in Owen Sound....lol hell I guess even one would be enough.
imagine as the sun starts to come up...it would look like a gill net 257 boats all tangled on the same line....50 cents says he's never get his board back.

Now that's funny!!!

grandpajim

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 09:48:00 am »
I run a standard length Big John dual planer mast which is mounted to my hardtop with a six inch square stainless backing plate. Not a single issue in over 20 years with the mast. However, when running a moderate trough (speed control) the lateral movement of the mast is such that my large dual boards surge erratically and can even porpoise on occasion. When conditions warrant, I deploy the boards, then tie the planer line off to the side cleats to maintain control of the boards.
I can only imagine the ridiculous amount of surging that would be experienced with an 18 foot mast in any kind of side chop or swells. Running boards the equivalent distance of the length of three football fields out EACH side of the boat is totally ludicrous regardless of the location and water clarity present.

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 10:13:00 am »
It may sound  crazy but on the west side of Michigan most days are calm as the prevailing winds are from the west so there is some logic to it. I am sure they have been cut off a few times but even more concerning would be a boat under power crossing perpendicular to the board and boat and a person getting cloths lined.

steve

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 10:18:00 am »
what is/are weight droppers?

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »
Weight droppers are used to drop 1 or 2 lb balls after a fish hits.

darkfisher

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 03:14:00 pm »
Can somebody say Lightning rod.   Holy crap I really have a hard time seeing a need for an 18 foot mast

storminnorman

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 06:56:00 pm »
Sober thought yet again !  grandpajim the old fox .   8-)  8-)  8-)  8-)

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 01:06:00 pm »
I agree with Grandpajim...plain and simple I don't need or want 1000 feet of planer cord using amost 1/5 of a  mile of water surface .
For one thing even if it was workable I don't see how it can be as effective...Did you ever play crack the whip with a rope and see what happens to the kid on the end?? what kind of surface speed do think a board would be doing on an outside turn if you made a 180 degree turn in say half a minute??anybody wanna do the math??? what do you think would happen to the lure you are running if it is speeded up to 30 knots...lol???
That's just one issue...want some more??

grandpajim

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »
Can you begin to imagine the size of reel required to hold say a full core of lead or 600 feet of copper PLUS the 1000 feet of backing material just to reach from the rod to the board never mind the additional 300 or so yards you might want as reel backing??
Can you imagine the time required to patiently send a release 1000 feet to the desired set position??
Can you imagine the severity of the inevitable carpal tunnel syndrome from winding fanatically to get the slack out of 1000 feet of line??
I think we're being had here. Likely better posted on April 1st.

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 11:38:00 pm »

Can you begin to imagine the size of reel required to hold say a full core of lead or 600 feet of copper PLUS the 1000 feet of backing material just to reach from the rod to the board never mind the additional 300 or so yards you might want as reel backing??
Can you imagine the time required to patiently send a release 1000 feet to the desired set position??
Can you imagine the severity of the inevitable carpal tunnel syndrome from winding fanatically to get the slack out of 1000 feet of line??

Your light switch is turned off.

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 11:21:00 am »
???? sorry ..light switch??
Had our xmas party last nite and thinkin a little slow this morning...musta missed sumthin???

Gotta go warm up the shack for tomorrows deer hunt..check back in tomorrow.

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 11:58:00 am »

When someone cannot understand the possible then their light switch is off

grandpajim

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 05:28:00 pm »
Vans,
           The corollary statement might be that if someone totally ignores the "sensible" application with whatever may be "possible", perhaps their elevator is somewhere well south of the penthouse.  Apologies to the original poster for wandering away from the topic he raised.