Author Topic: Buying a Planer Mast  (Read 12983 times)

Nasty Boy

Buying a Planer Mast
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:47:00 pm »
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to decide which planer mast to purchase to run some big boards next spring but they are all quite similar....  What does everyone think?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

darkfisher

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »
Hey John,

I know you are trying to get the boat set up perfectly the way you like it.  So every decision is super important.  But if you want my opinion I don't think it's so much about the brand of planner mast. so much as the height that you choose.  The boards don't come in the boat very often so as long as you have a good strong base it shouldn't matter.  set em out in the morning bring em in when your done.  If you need I have some big boards you can use.  I made them last year and they work great.

What height should the mast be on an 18 foot lund? and who has the strongest base?

Nasty Boy

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:34:00 pm »

Hey John,

I know you are trying to get the boat set up perfectly the way you like it.  So every decision is super important.  But if you want my opinion I don't think it's so much about the brand of planner mast. so much as the height that you choose.  The boards don't come in the boat very often so as long as you have a good strong base it shouldn't matter.  set em out in the morning bring em in when your done.  If you need I have some big boards you can use.  I made them last year and they work great.

What height should the mast be on an 18 foot lund? and who has the strongest base?

Good point.  My last mast was not high enough but it could have been the boards as well.  I got better distance with the in-line boards.  I need to go at least 6 feet and give it a try.  I want to run 4 reef runners in the spring (when conditions permit) and it gets to be a mess with the in-lines.  Was planning to mount it on a 6 inch track so I can interchange with the bow mounted fishfinder.

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:56:00 am »
In Wisconsin they run 18 foot masts to get the baits far from the boat.

Tim Bromund

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 06:34:00 pm »
Cisco,

all aluminum, no plastic at all

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/694/9564.html

Tim

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »
who makes an 18foot mast?? I've never seen one.

karl

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:00 pm »
i took my mast off my 22ft lund  forget about the big boards inlines are way more manageable in smaller boats.as far as masts, go big jon .

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:34:00 pm »
I think they are custom made but the boys in Sheboygan sure love them. they have them strapped down with guide wires. Here is a picture of your competitors boat, notice the planer board mast in the front.

http://www.u-charters.com/boat6.jpg

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:00 pm »
Slide Divers aren't competitors silly......they are compadres in the trade.

In any case.....the pic you sent doesn't even show the top of those masts.....they look a little unwieldy to me...soooo tall.
Just how far can you run boards off them anyway.???

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:09:00 pm »
ooops had some moose milk at the shack before I answered..and noticed there is a mast on the front of that boat,...readin glasses er..uh uh...no excuse...it's the moose milk.

nice setup...just never seen a mast that tall for handlin the planer boards.

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:00 pm »
just an observation here....but does anyone expect anything other than Big Jon masts to win this poll.
I sold hundreds of them..when not much else was available back in the 80's...so if most people on the water already have them and never tried anything else ...how can they have an opinion on the merits of other equipment???
Everybody is voting for what they know already works for them.
To be fair..when anybody is voting  an opinion of what is better they should have to qualify their answer by noting if they have any knowledge whatever about the equipment they aren't voting for...(for the record..I don't currently make planer masts)..just an observation ...and I think all those masts work great.

TOTW

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 10:28:00 pm »
Dont get mad Randy..The guy is just trying to make a decision.  Planer masts are not that common of an item for Salmon trollers these days, and he just got a new boat, cut him some slack. In the last few years Riviera tried to cut into  the planer mast market, did a pretty good job I may say.

I agree on your observation as well.  I vote for Big Jon.  15 years on my dual electric mast.  Original motors, 3rd boat.  And I dont vote on Pullers Polls

ANd back in the 80's  I believe the Cannon Planer Reel and Planer reel Elete were just as available as the BigJon systems.

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36:00 pm »
The only port I saw those 18 footers was in Sheboygan, WI. On the west side of Michigan the water is gin clear, even clearer then Georgian Bay. When the fish are high they use those tall masts and set boards that are 6 to 8 feet long out 1000' to the sides, crazy but they do it. The same person that owns that boat in the link rumour has it they are responsible for the demise of weight droppers. Rumour also has it that appearently 3 boats in that same port one year dropped over 2000 lbs of lead into the lake, the DNR stepped in and put a stop to it. In Wisconsin if you are caught with a lead dropper on your boat then you are automatically fined.

One trick they do in Wisconsin to get the planer boards to run out more to the side of the boat is on the leading edge of the planer board they increase the profile of the edge with a strip of aluminum.
It does work.

In mid to northern Michigan and mid Wisconsin, planer boards are used constantly while the rest of Michigan uses inline boards. It is interesting that most of the consistent tournament winners in Lake Michigan are from that mid to northern Michigan section of the lake.

TOTW

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »
Not crazy..but innovative for sure.  Anybody who fished Lake Erie tries to stretch the boards out as far as they can.  I would have had a hoot with those babies on Erie.

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:18:00 pm »
Hey...like to have a video camera running and talk about 10 guys start out in the dark running those 1000 ft of planer cord in Owen Sound....lol hell I guess even one would be enough.
imagine as the sun starts to come up...it would look like a gill net 257 boats all tangled on the same line....50 cents says he's never get his board back.