Author Topic: Buying a Planer Mast  (Read 16224 times)

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »
Hmmm,

Lets say you have 8 people in your boat ( 6 customers plus Captain and first mate ) which means you can fire out 24 lines and the fish are on the beach out to 30 feet of water in gin clear water. You are doing straight line trolling. How do you plan on effectively getting those 24 baits in front of the fish's snout without spooking them.
Now remember the Captain that started this is quite inventive, in fact they invented the slide diver which is a very effective fishing tool. I doubt that his elevator is somewhere south of the penthouse.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

hotreels

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 07:22:00 pm »
BTW: 8 anglers = 16 rods not 24 rods in Lake Ontario.

fishdawg

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 07:53:00 pm »
hey Vans
the majority of folks here fish Lake Ont. & we're limited to 2 rods each... id say that most of the boats here of the rec guys only run 6 rods most of the time and probably the bigger charters will max out at 10-12 rods occassionally

thats ok though, our kings are a little bigger   ;)

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 07:53:00 pm »
Agreed but on Lake Michigan, where the Captain in question operates out of, you are allowed 3 rods per person. Also on the west side of Lake M the water is generally very cold, most of this year the water temps close to shore rarely reached 50 degrees. The Alewife were in the harbour most of the year and the kings spend a lot of their time just off the beach.
The solution to these conditions has been to run your lines 30 feet apart, using balloons on the releases for visual affirmation when a strike occurs, on the beach side of the boat and do straight runs. 24 rods @ 30 feet apart = 720'  plus, at that water depth you would want to have the first rod at least 100' from the boat giving you a total distance of 820'. Add a few more people on the boat and 1000' from the boat is reasonable. As for reels, I have seen reels like Daiwa Tanacom Bull 1000Fe Electric Reel used on Michigan that hold 5000' of .015" line.
It's a stealth concept that is necessary in these water conditions.

steve

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
an electric reel used?

sounds like fun.

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 01:47:00 pm »
Hard to believe anyone can command 1000 feet of shoreline , without major conflicts!!!
What kind of headaches are incurred  if you meet someone head on doing the same thing?
......I have a lot of trouble with the stealth excuse being applicable out at 150 feet and beyond from the boat.
Most (west coast origin) salmonides have a natural aversion to boat shadows since they emulate seal lions , orcas and the like, so naturally the fish want to get to the side away from the dangerous end ....but to take off for 1000 feet for no reason...not buying it...
Don't get me wrong here.. if you can fish this way, and not bother anybody...and keep handling to a reasonable fashion...I'm fascinated.......but 24 rods off one board....way beyond my capabilities to avoid tangles....

vanselena

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
Well I don't fish this way but certain Captains do in Sheboygan WI.

If you want more info here is the website.  http://www.u-charters.com/   I'm sure they can fill in the blanks for you.

yoda

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 10:16:00 pm »
like I said.. not something I could even contemplate as we are crowded for space here...it can't be done .
Places like owen sound have maybe 200 boats sharing a pothole...you couldn't have 4 boats in there with those tactics....but as I said I'm envious of the open water available to those guys ..and the great fishing that goes with it.

Trophy J

Buying a Planer Mast
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 03:41:00 pm »
Well I was the only one that voted for Great Lakes Planers. I chose these guys because I wanted to optimize space / functionality on my boat. I was looking for side mount masts.
I liked their idea of having the tree + reels + mast + adjustable light + net holder option.