Author Topic: First time user of Planer mast and boards  (Read 1489 times)

Floater

First time user of Planer mast and boards
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:02:00 pm »
I'm lookng at getting a Big Jon Planner mast and boards soon. What I'd like to know is how to use it?? Do you hook the board onto the line and let it out a certain distance then attatch your line to the clip and keep repeating till you got all your lines out at different lengths?? Can you fish deep as well? Any tips would be great. Been using those little birds and they are too small and don't go out far enough in rough water. Thanks

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

darkfisher

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:55:00 pm »
That is a pretty good start.  longest and shallowest lines to the outside and then progressively shorter and deeper,  riggers being the shortest and deepest of the spread, thus creating a "V" with all your lines.  that way you can get the fish to the back of the boat without tangling with all the other lines.  Keep a lot of releases onboard so you can just let them fall to the board after a hit.  That will save you having to reel in the big boards to get another release.  I find if you are only running a couple of rods the inlines are less hassle however with 6 or more rods in the water the big boards can be quite helpful.

Matt

Floater

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I should have the equipment soon and can't wait to try them out.