Author Topic: Rookies Planerboard Oops  (Read 2675 times)

msb

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:18:00 am »
This evening was my first time out with planer boards (maybe 6th time on Ontario ever). I had 1 rod on each board, and one on each of the two downriggers, ie 4 rods. When one of the rigger rods popped, my buddy grabbed it, line started flying off the reel, and we saw the fish jump three times (being a total newcomer, I can only tell you that our guess was 15 to 20 lb'ish). Unfortuneately, the second jump was near the planer board and on the third it jumped over the planer board tether. Each board was out about 80 ft.

Were we being total idiots losing a fish like this? I honestly don't know what we could have done. From bite to disaster was maybe 10 seconds. Was this just dumb luck? If not, any info that could help avoid a repeat would be greatly appreciated.

If nothing else, hope you got a chuckle out of this rookies Keystone Kops impression on the lake. Thanks

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Reel It Up

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:00 am »
If your drags were loose then there may have been nothing you could have done,gotta let them run, but some of these fish are psycho and thats fishin, good luck next trip out.

outkast

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:20:00 am »
I'm sure we have all been there and done that. When you were fighting your fish, did you put the boat in neutral?

grousepointer

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:00 pm »
That fish  was not 10-15 lbs and your boards were not out 80 feet, the fish was 10-12 lbs and the boards were out about 40 feet.

msb

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:00 am »
grousepointer:  how would you know? you were too busy losing the fish

grousepointer

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:18:00 am »
No comment.

steve

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:23:00 am »
run your boards at least 100' out to the side...not that it'll catch you more fish...i mean it might but...it'll keep that from happening....

also, if you want, the minute a rigger or longline pops, you can open the spool on the board for about 5-10 seconds to let it drop back even further, then lock it down, shooting it out to the side even further.

we clear lines in the spring though....we find it easier to land and more fun....but by the sounds of things, you didn't have much time to react....it's often the smaller kings (8-14lbs) that cause the most problems...the big fish tend to just run back, allowing you time to clear or widen your spread....

msb

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:54:00 am »
Thanks for the advice Steve

grousepointer

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:43:00 am »
Outcast asked if we put the boat in neutral, should we have?

storminnorman

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:00 am »
NO !!!! keeper rolling .

steve

Rookies Planerboard Oops
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:56:00 am »
no, no no!

dont put it in neutral, at least at that point!

i asked a question at a past seminar about putting the boat into neutral while fighting a fish....as this is something we do....but it's taken five years of testing when and when not to before actually being confident in doing it.....

a strong king peeling line out the back, with boards out, is not when you want to neutral it.

if it was my boat, in that situation, what I would have done (in theory....we loose lots as well) would be:

Initial hit, let the outside boards go out further with the boat still in full motion forward.

IF that was successful, while the fish was pulling line out, we would start clearing from the opposite side....first the longline on the opposite side, then the board, then finally the rigger.

now the one side is clear, I can pull the longline from the side w/ fish. I now only have 1 rigger in the water, and one line out w/ fish on.

at this point, i now throw my boat into the slowest troll. I have the yamaha 50hp tiller, and it has the "troll down" button, where I can decrease my rpm so very low, its barely moving forward...but is still moving forward....

i'd clear my rigger, at this point, and most likely the board with the fish on hopefully would have been cleared.

I would then throw the boat into neutral, but not turn it off....i need it on, so i can put into drive to keep the fish out the back of the boat....i never allow the fish to get to the side of the boat. I'd go from drive to neutral, keeping the fish straight out the back....but really not moving forward....

this is the best time to fight the fish....and the most fun!

please note, we NEVER EVER do this in deeper, open water, with divers out....all we do is troll down to my 0.8mph while fighting the fish.....keeping in mind my leadcore (if out) is dropping fast.....hopefully we are in adequate enough depth to allow that to happen....if not, we'll either clear the leadcore, or keep our speed up to a low speed of 1.3mhp...max.

long winded, and yes, you need to find what is best for your boat....

many have told me they would never ever put their boat into neutral...and with big chater boats i understand why....but us smaller boat anglers can do it.....if you know when and how to.